Help, I'm buying my first Apple laptop. My uses are.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BBQ BOY, Aug 4, 2012.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

Hey y'all. My 5 year old iMac is getting tired and am going to buy the new retina MacBook Pro today or tomorrow since its tax free. Please help me decide since all of these specs are like reading a foreign language to me.
    Uses are:
    Photography
    HD video editing, which I have not even dove into yet
    Internet surfing
    MAYBE Parallels, for my business use
    Documents
    Music

I am not a gamer and rarely play movies on my Macs(but I have kids now, so who knows if games will be in my future). I would like to future proof my computer for at least 4 years and am stumped on wether to go all out with the top tier Pro or just get the 2.6, 8g, 512. I have spoken to few different sales people and seem to get mixed opinions.

Thanks

2. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Well if you are trying to future proof, you should probably go for the 16gb of ram. Many people have gone for the 2.6/16/512 and plan on using it for 3-4 years, so I think that would be a great option. I went for the 768 ssd due to the fact this is my main machine and I like to have a lot of movies and what not on the device. 512 would have been doable for me, no way the 256, but the 768 just made sense going forward for me.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is an excellent suggestion. I'd ad the hi-res anti-glare option & you'll have one very nice new Mac.

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

um there is no anti-glare hi res option for the rmbp.

5. leman macrumors 604

Future proofing is a myth ;) The 2.7Ghz CPU will become outdated at the same time as the 2.3Ghz CPU. So the most important variable here is the storage. Is 512GB enough for you, or is it pushing it? I'd get the cheapest model which still offers enough storage. Also, if you intend to use Parallels heavily, consider upgrading to 16GB RAM.

6. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Futureproofing

8GB is more then plenty, by getting 16GB of RAM it'll be safe to say that you're Mac will still be good 3-4 years down the road. Trying to future proof a processor would be very unlikely.

In addition the new Retina display is a game changer to most competitors out there, with the only high resolution laptop. 1080p is getting old and the Retina display may be the next standard resolution size out there.

If you can afford it go for it :)

7. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

I have 320 GB of storage now with 69 GB available, but, that's after I transferred almost all of my photos to my external hard drive. Apparently, it looks like I have about 112 GB of movies. Is that movies I have bought from iTunes or home videos? If I only have 69 GB available out of 320 GB, will 512GB of storage be enough for when I start to do HD video projects?

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Sorry, I missed that you were talking about the retina version.

9. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I don't think we can answer that for you. You have to look and see what the movies are.

IMO, there is no point in "future proofing" your laptop. You're going to drop $2000 extra just trying to make this computer last an extra year or two. What is the point of that?

You could easily BUY ANOTHER LAPTOP with that $2000 in 2 years! And guaranteed that new laptop will be more powerful than any laptop this year. Spend ~$2000 now, and spend $2000 2 years from now. You'll have 2 laptops and the second one will be more powerful than any laptop currently available.

My suggested setup: 2.3/16/256. You already have an external drive, so what is the point in spending $500 for 256GB when you have and will use an external? The 2.6 might help, but the 16GB RAM will definitely help with your virtual machine.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Future proofing is a bit tenuous these days at the rate Apple is cutting off support for OS X earlier than ever. For years most user could think of keeping their Mac up to date with the latest OS.

However in today's highly charged "Apples Out To Destroy" mentality, it's anyone's guess as to the future moves of this once very positive & reliable company.

Just one look at the list of relatively new Macs that have been locked out of upgrading to Mountain Lion reveals the facts.

Apples on a tear to force upgrade everyone who wishes to run the latest into expensive new retina models. Based on current trends it won't be long & Apple will obsolete all current MBA's with more expensive MBAr Retina models, just wait and see.

Apples on a roll as the Cash Cow of the Century...

11. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Agreed! It's going to be hard to keep up with Apple's latest trends but years down the road, performance wise may still satisfy users :) ! Especially with the extra RAM upgrade.

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

2.6/16/512

Eventually you'll be able to buy a third party SSD upgrade for it (likely through OWC) but the RAM is soldered so it's do or die upon order for that spec.

13. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

The SSD isn't soldered? If that's the case then I will go with what you recommended.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Yeah, the SSD isn't soldered, the RAM [however] is...

But, we don't know how expensive the aftermarket SSDs will be for the rMBP when they're released thru OWC or someone else...

I would def. go for the 16GB RAM model. That's the only real bottleneck I foresee with this portable computer!

15. BBQ BOY, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

awesome. I'll just go with the 2.3 processor/18gb/512, unless the 2.6 processor will make a difference when video and photo editing?????

16. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

No perceivable difference really. The bump to 16 GB of RAM is a wise one. Order away :)

And no, the SSD is not soldered. Just the RAM.

17. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, everyone. I ordered my first Apple laptop 10 minutes ago!!!!!