Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Like the title says, I'm having a little problem deciding between weather to get the lower end 20in or the higher end. The only real reason why I would be getting the higher end 20 inch is so that it can play WoW well ( yes, I am pathetic), and I am concerned that the lower end 20 inch can't. I have considered that adding more RAM to the lower end might make it run faster. But I don't want to buy something, then have it not meet my needs, then have to get the higher model. I know all fo you will say get the higher end, it is worth it in the long run, but I can't convince my dad (He is paying part of it) to buy it.

Any help?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Like the title says, I'm having a little problem deciding between weather to get the lower end 20in or the higher end. The only real reason why I would be getting the higher end 20 inch is so that it can play WoW well ( yes, I am pathetic), and I am concerned that the lower end 20 inch can't. I have considered that adding more RAM to the lower end might make it run faster. But I don't want to buy something, then have it not meet my needs, then have to get the higher model. I know all fo you will say get the higher end, it is worth it in the long run, but I can't convince my dad (He is paying part of it) to buy it.

Any help?

What is wrong with the lower model? It is a very fast system...

If your dad is nice enough to help you pay for a Brand New iMac, you should be grateful you are getting one at all... Not asking for more.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
never hurts to ask... all he can say is no :)

Better thank your dad no matter what though!

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
What is wrong with the lower model? It is a very fast system...

If your dad is nice enough to help you pay for a Brand New iMac, you should be grateful you are getting one at all... Not asking for more.

I'm paying for almost all of it, he is only paying taxes, and getting em an education discount, so not really.

The problem with the lower end model is I'm unsure if it will play WoW with good fps in battlegrounds and instances.

And once again, I am financing most of it. He is only paying a "little".

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
You would want the higher end 20" which comes with a better GPU than the lower end. It's an underclocked 2600 XT as pointed out in another thread. A lot of new iMac AL owners are having good gaming experience with this GPU.

I'm upgrading for the fact that the new GPU (HD 2600 Pro aka XT) can do hardware encoding + new Intel Extreme 2.8 C2D chips. Puts my iMac G5 to shame!

jimsoff

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Get the higher end 20". But if you can afford it, I'd say for the the 24" imac. You'll be happy you did.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I guess I have decided on the higher-end 20 inch model. My parents, I need to convince them however. What would be some reasons that they would like to hear? I know that:

The 20 inch models cant be upgraded, so getting the higher model would be better in the beginning

Better Processor, Bigger HD, Better Video Card

And... What else?

jimsoff

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
It won't become outdated as fast. You'll be your able to do homework faster. It'll be able to run programs faster. It's worth the investment. It'll last you longer.

OH! Make sure you get the 3 year apple care plan!

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
OH! Make sure you get the 3 year apple care plan!

I know that it comes with a one-year warrenty, and that most problems happen within the first, so I think I'll be good with only the one. I am also very careful with my computers.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tell your parents you are future-proofing so it will last an extra year or so. The difference in cost should be worth an extra year.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
What about the warranty, do I really need the extra 2 years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.