HELP! I'm running out of room - and I've tried most things

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiwhitman, Apr 4, 2008.

1. skiwhitman macrumors member

Hello,
    This isn't just the usual "duplicate in itunes" question - and I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere; I looked and couldn't find a good answer. Here's my problem.

My iMac has 150GB capacity. I have 146GB used so not much left. However, I KNOW I don't have that much stuff! It's got to be duplicates.

Using the application WhatSize, I can see some information, however, I'm confused as I can't seem to get the math to add up the total 146GB.
    Here's a image capture:

[​IMG]

Also, in my documents, I have a bunch of photos listed......no idea how they got there.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

2. oliverlubin macrumors regular

in itunes, go to prefs: advanced and the 2nd checkbox "Copy file to iTunes Music folder..."

if that's checked, then itunes is duplicating any music drag into it. that means you can trash any music not in your iTunes Music folder (as long as it's showing in iTunes).

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Did u try using onyx to clean up your system?

4. skiwhitman thread starter macrumors member

No, I'll do that this weekend

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you can also weed out some other stuff to save space. For instance, if you are not a Garageband user you can delete all of its files - the loops take up a lot of space. Using a utility like Xslimmer to get rid of the application coding not used by your particular model (PPC or Intel) saves a ton of space as well...oh yeah!

6. skiwhitman thread starter macrumors member

That'll be great when I need to get rid of extra room. My question is that according to my math, I've got under 90GB "stuff" at the most. I'm wondering that if I find and delete duplicates, then I won't have to delete garageband.

my favorite quote, "Duff-man, can't breathe! Oh no!"