HELP im supposed to buy a MP TODAY and i have 1 question!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdschwendener, Aug 10, 2007.

1. sdschwendener macrumors regular

:mad:Well I'm actually getting one for school today my dad is going to purchase it. I'm sorry to be like this I should have asked this LONG ago. Every night I go to bed telling myself I'm going to wait and use the computer lab (my powerbook died about 5 months ago).. I'm a double concentration music production major and I work so with my credit load I cant really afford to be in a computer lab working on some **** Dell. And every morning I wake up and go on the net and realize all over again I want THIS one.

I have a well paying job for a college student so I can afford to upgrade my system.
    Here is my question..

Can wolfdale/harpertown be fitted into the CURRENT 2.66 GHZ systems motherboard? I dont know jack **** about upgrading processors but according to wikipedia there is a LGA 771 Wolfdale which is the same socket as current MP.. Is there a reason they wont work together?

Please answer my question and either proceed to from a correct and serious standpoint A..Shut my want for this computer down.. or B..Recommend it more. Just make me confident.

2. seclusion macrumors regular

seclusion

I have a MacPro 2.66 loaded with 5 gigs of ram and 4 Hd's all working with Logic Pro. I run about 30 stereo audio tracks and 6-8 stereo Audio Instruments and my CPU floats around 20%. I can't imagine anyone needing more then the 8 core system for music production. What we really need at this time is more access to ram so all the sample libraries can be loaded in one machine.
    This machine can have the CPU updated to the 8 core's for sure.
    Have fun
    Later