Help in deciding 4S or 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s1x7yn1n36969, Apr 3, 2013.

1. s1x7yn1n36969 macrumors newbie

ok so i got a job right accrost from the nice and shiny apple store and i walked in there on lunch break and i looked at the two phones and i was impressed i like the metal back of the 5 but i like the 4s because other than the processor and lte and screen theres not a big difference i mean like a 150 to 200 mhz isnt a big deal considering there duel core phones and i only use my phone for twitter facebook and texting any way i digress i was ether going to get a 4s and take it to a shop in the mall and get it with this color of the back glass so it looks like the 5 - http://www.e-iphoneparts.com/wp-content/...10/106.jpg ...so theres one thing about the 5 gone and i looked at the processor comparison in a video and the 4s auctaly outpreformed the 5 in some areas but where it didnt it was a fraction of a second difference no big deal for me and lte i live in a rule area so theres no 4g where i am most of the time so i am wondering which would be a better decisoion and heres what i want to get the front of the phone to look like - http://iphone4parts.com/shop/images/full...on-red.jpg - and a side note i plan on jailbreaking it to so it will be all custome so give me your imput on what you would do if you were in my situation and im buying the phone outright because i had a android but im tired of it ...thank you i will take into extreem consideration all of your guys feed back

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. s1x7yn1n36969 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i think that the 4s is a great option the iphone 5 isnt that different but i kind of am teatering but i could buy more with the extra money im looking for someone to asses my situation and help me make a good decisoion and i only need it for a year because acording to the product cycles the 4s will be sold till the 6 comes out and thats half a year after my contract is eligable for a upgrade so im buying outright
    ..i could get ether really

4. 617aircav Suspended

Dude just buy the 5, if you have the money and the 4s if you dont.

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Don't really look at the specs, they are kind of meaningless with the iPhone. The 4S will become outdated soon. You are already commenting on buying a replacement back to make your 4s look like a 5, which sounds like you want the 5.

The 5 is so much better in every way. The biggest improvement for me was how fast and snappy everything was, including the camera. It just loads instantly and I wait for nothing now. I would not hesitate to buy an iPhone 5 again.

6. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

7. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

If you care enough to make a topic on this site then buy the 5. If you really didnt care you'd buy the 4S.

8. abz1981 macrumors 65816

get the iphone 5 dude, you will not regret it.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Buy the 4S. With the money you saved, invest in some grammar classes. Your posts gave me a headache. :eek:

Only kidding (sort of). 4S and 5 are similar in performance. I would have stuck with my 4S if my mother didn't want it. That said, you are buying the 4S and adding a new backplate to it. How much are they charging you to add the thing? Any money you spend on top of the 4S purchase starts closing the gap between the 4S and 5 price. It's already a pretty small gap, IMO, at $100.

10. jenni122701 macrumors regular

jenni122701

I always go with the latest I can afford. So that's why I have the 4s instead of the 5. I love it, but if you have the cash, go with 5.

11. Fdfan100 macrumors member

If you were buying the phones off contract, then yeah get a 4S ,if you're trying to save some money. But on contract, honestly if you have the money get 5. Overall IMO, it would be a better investment and last you the full 2 years you would stay on contract if that the phone you plan to stick with.

12. warriorz macrumors regular

I had the 4s and upgraded to the 5 when it was released. Now that I've using the 5 for a while the 'novelty' factor has worn off a touch and I feel it's essentially the same phone. Yes it does have a marginally larger screen, and yes the overall speed is faster (you will eventually notice the speed bump when and if you've used the 5 for a while, those few seconds here and there do add up in comparison to the 4s speed), but all in all it's a very similar phone. Obviously that's due to the same OS being on both models, so essentially it depends on your design preferences. For me, I prefer the 4S design, it's easier to really use with one hand, (with the 5 there is some phone shifting done to reach the top corners), so it's easier if you're always on the go. It also feels nicer in the hand as you can hold it confidently knowing there's something substantial in your hand in comparison to the nice, but light, slightly elongated 5. On the other hand the small increase in screen real estate is nice, the calendar for example can show more of your schedule overview. So although I like the feel if the 4s, and much prefer it to the feel of the 5, the slightly larger screen and faster tasking on the 5 are winners for me. I think it depends on your priorities, and you'd probably want to consider whether you'd want, for example, a slightly better camera, or whether you care about the extra half inch in screen, or whether you always want the 'latest' and so on.

13. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Right with ya. If you can afford it, get it! You'll love it and will be happy with your choice.

14. bniu macrumors 6502a

IME, the cost of the cell phone contract is so big that over 2 years, the cost difference between the premium 64GB iPhone 5 and a free iPhone 4 is insignificant.

Thus, my policy is to always buy the latest and greatest, and if I can't afford that, then I don't buy any. I'm very 0-1 in my decision making on electronics, all or nothing, either get the very best, or get nothing.

If I get the very best, I know that there is nothing better I could buy at the time of purchase. If I get nothing, then I simply don't know what I'm missing out on. If I settle and buy something halfway, I will constantly be bothered by why I didn't go all out.

15. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

16. opinio macrumors 65816

i have both. 4S is better but I would wait for the next model

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd like to buy you a period or two and perhaps a carriage return.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would do the same.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need our help. You just need to sit down and prioritize your needs/wants and assign weights to them. It's like any other decision. Once you've done that you'll have your answer. Asking others with entirely different preferences isn't going to help you find what suits you best. Like some others I'd always get the latest as mobile devices get outdated quickly (though that's a subjective matter and plenty are happy with "outdated" devices). Again, you need to decide based on your preferences.

20. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

agreed, the 4S will be 2 years old in October, and next year end of life cycle or go to Free, the IP5 is still a top of the line model and will be around for another 1-2 years anyway.

21. llfloyd79 macrumors regular

llfloyd79

I say go with the 5. I was one of those people that said the 5 isn't much of an upgrade over the 4S also. Well I got the 5 two days ago and I am impressed. I would definitely go with the 5.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You can say iPhone 4S still is a good phone, but "4s is better" is a nonsense....

23. mapledress macrumors regular

Personally, the latest iPhone 5 is a better choice.

24. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

That, and some much needed Paragraphs ;) (Oh ya, you mentioned that with the carriage return Interstella) Long posts without them are not readable for me.... :D