Help: Install Software On A Different Volume

TrenttonY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hello,

I want to keep all third party apps that aren't on the App Store, away from my main system files.
Such as Steam, Handbrake, MakeMKV, etc

The issue I'm having is understanding in what way I would do this?
On a new Volume, Partition (are those the same thing?), etc

And with that, would those apps on the new Volume/Partition have access to my main Volume?

LuisN

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hello,

I want to keep all third party apps that aren't on the App Store, away from my main system files.

And with that, would those apps on the new Volume/Partition have access to my main Volume?
Drag and drop to new volume/partition/folder and delete it in the source location. All apps should be able to access your main volume

TrenttonY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Drag and drop to new volume/partition/folder and delete it in the source location. All apps should be able to access your main volume
Would that just store the main app, or all the app data as well? App data that you would typically find in folders in ~/Library/Application Support, etc

Basically if I unmount the volume there be zero sign of that app ever being installed on the computer?

I want it be basically it’s own virtual computer.

Last edited:

LuisN

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Would that just store the main app, or all the app data as well? App data that you would typically find in folders in ~/Library/Application Support, etc

Basically if I unmount the volume there be zero sign of that app ever being installed on the computer?

I want it be basically it’s own virtual computer.
App data will remain in the usual place

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,

What's the problem you're thinking you're avoiding by putting apps on a separate partition or disk?

TrenttonY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
What's the problem you're thinking you're avoiding by putting apps on a separate partition or disk?
OCD. I don’t want third party apps to be with my first party apps (App Store).

That’s just about it. Third party apps also can use different rules and qualifications than App Store apps.
App data will remain in the usual place
Than what’s the use for volumes in the first place? I always thought they were there own ‘computer’ as you can install, let’s say beta macOS on one and boot into it, and keep your OG disk intact.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
OCD. I don’t want third party apps to be with my first party apps (App Store).

That’s just about it. Third party apps also can use different rules and qualifications than App Store apps.

Than what’s the use for volumes in the first place? I always thought they were there own ‘computer’ as you can install, let’s say beta macOS on one and boot into it, and keep your OG disk intact.
Installing 3rd party applications to another disk does not prevent that application from installing support files or settings onto your boot disk and it does not improve security in any way. Some applications will not work properly if they're not installed onto the boot disk, although that's a rare problem. Your computer is still using the same operating system regardless of which disk is used as the installation destination, unless you install and run a totally separate operating system and unmount the original disk when you use those apps. It's not worth doing.