Help! iPhone 3G no longer works with WiFi after being unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lambo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. lambo macrumors regular

Hi, I attempted to unlock my iPhone 3G and during this process WiFi was working great, but after I finished the process of unlocking my iPhone, the unlock failed, and so I restored the phone.

Now, the iPhone is having problems with WiFi, it can pick up my WiFi network and sometimes connect, but whenever I go to use any internet, it doesn't work or disappears immediately.

I've reset the iPhone, used DFU mode, restored from an old back up, restored and didn't use a back up, reset the 'Network Settings', and nothing is working. I have another iPhone and it is picking up WiFi perfectly while my 3G still isn't working.

If all fails, I'll just send it out to Apple for a replacement.

Any suggestions?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Is the network password protected (via WEP or WPA(2))?

3. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Is the WiFi network yours or a company's that you may work for? The company may of changed the password or encryption type to say... WPA(2). Check with the company if it is a company's network.

I guess so...

David

5. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's my own personal network. I doubt anything has been changed since my other iPhone is picking up WiFi just fine.

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

7. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

I already did that as stated before.

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Just for experimentation's sake, try changing your network to an open one and seeing if the problem persists.

9. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I called Apple and they're going to send me a box and I'll ship it over to them to see if it's a hardware problem. Bleh.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Great. So you are going to tie up resources and add uneeded costs because you unlocked your phone and YOU messed something up.
    :rolleyes:

Did you at least volunteer and tell them it was unlocked?

I hope it takes several weeks to get back your phone.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Unlocking doesn't alter WiFi. IIRC, the OP already said he tried restoring to stock firmware...

12. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I sent it into Apple and they acknowledged the problem and are sending me back a replacement.