HELP. iPhone 3G *No Service*. iOS 3.1.3 and BB 05.14.02

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bikalpapaudel, Dec 29, 2010.

1. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

Hello guys! A college senior came over to me asking if I could see why his recently acquired iPhone 3G (used) was not getting any cell reception.

He told the iPhone was jailbroken and unlocked.

I checked the phone. I saw that the OS version was 3.1.3 but baseband was the dreadful 05.14.02. At first I wondered how an iPhone with an older iOS had a newer baseband. Then I realized -- the previous owner probably updated the iPhone to 4.x and downgraded the OS to 3.1.3. Sadly, the baseband got stuck at that notorious version.

I then checked the Internet. The baseband is still not unlockable, but it can be overwritten with iPad baseband which can be unlocked! However, after that, it is said that no official Apple firmware can be applied.

So I want to ask -- Should I upgrade it to the iPad baseband?

1. Are there any issues with using iPad BB on the iPhone 3G?
    2. Should I instead wait for an official unlock for 05.14.02?

2. bikalpapaudel, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to upgrade your baseband to unlock. Redsn0w will activate the iPhone when you jailbreak.

4. bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

How do I upgrade the baseband when I cannot update to the latest 4.2.1 (like the update guide asks me to do)?

5. bikalpapaudel, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

bikalpapaudel thread starter macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

Okay here's what I am talking about:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/11/guide-to-update-baseband-06-15-00-with-redsn0w/

How do I do that when I can't get iTunes to recognize the iPhone in the first place?

The user in this recent thread here has a similar problem with his iPhone: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1071525

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Put the phone into recovery or DFU mode, connect to iTunes and you should be able to restore to 4.2.1. Afterward, continue on wiu step #2.