Help! iPhone 5 iOS 7 Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcbez, Jul 8, 2013.

1. marcbez macrumors newbie

Okay before I explain my issue, I would like to ask for you not to post criticizing comments about how I shouldn't have downloaded the iOS7 Beta. I agree, I shouldn't have, but what's done is done, and I can't go back (although I regret it). So here's my issue.

I have had a white iPhone 5 for almost a year now (September of 2012), with no problems. About a month ago (June 20th) I decided to illegally download the iOS7 beta off the internet (terrible idea) and install it on my device. Very soon, I found out that the beta was glitchy and at times unbearable. I downloaded the iOS 6.1.4 firmware off the internet, and tried restoring my iPhone to the backup I did RIGHT BEFORE I installed iOS7, with no luck. I could not restore my iphone (texts, contacts, photos, etc) from the backup, and was hit with this error message: "the backup ___ iPhone cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old."

I can see that there ARE infact backups that are visible for the iOS6.1.4, however when I try to backup my phone on the iOS 6.1.4. to one of them, it tells me that it cannot be done as it is too old and not compatible with the software. The only thing I CAN do is reinstall the iOS7 firmware and backup to my most recent backup of the iOS7.

Now I understand this and it makes sense that you cannot back up your iOS7 data onto the iOS6.1.4, however I am okay with that if I can just backup to the most recent backup i did with iOS6.1.4 in June 20th (and I am okay if I lose whatever I did since having iOS7).

So I figured oh well, I'll tough it out and stick with crappy iOS7 until the REAL software comes out, however then I ran into an even bigger problem (fml right?).
    Last night I'm sitting around a bonfire and manage to drop my phone on the cement, shattering the front screen. Phone still works, just spiderwebbed all over.

So here's my actual question:

What do I do now?

1. I have a broken phone that I can't really take into Apple with the iOS7 installed (I'm assuming downloading it voided my warranty).
    2. I can re-install the ios 6.1.4 and go to Apple and they wont know the warranty is voided if I don't have iOS7 installed(?) and have them replace it. This however is risky, as I stated before that my phone wasn't allowing me to revert to an iOS6.1.4 backup.
    3. I have a friend who can fix screens for $200, which may be the best option as of now.
    4. I am looking into buying a Samsung Galaxy s4 perhaps, however would they be able to transfer ALL my stuff over?

In the end, ideally I would like to have a fixed iphone 5 screen running ios 6.1.4, with mostly all my contacts, photos, and texts on it.

Please, if there is ANYONE who has ANY suggestions on what I should do, please reply to this, or email me at mbezbo@ymail.com

2. darster Suspended

Bring it in to Apple. They can replace the screen on site. They won't care if you have ios 7. That didn't cause the screen to break. And if the phone is more damaged than that from the drop, you can get a replacement phone for $229. That's better than having a friend mess it up for $200.

3. marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

How much for them to replace it on site? And you are sure they wont care about the ios7?

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i believe apple does in store iPhone 5 screen replacements for $150 now. If you don't want to take it in on iOS 7 just set it up as new on iOS 6 take it in have them replace it and then go back to 7 with your backup.

5. darster Suspended

They won't care. You are paying them to fix the screen. They will take your money. Plus they won't know you have ios 7 until they replace the screen and turn it on. By then, it is fixed and you will be charged for screen replacement. If you want a replacement for $229, just smash it to heck.

6. marcbez, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

And also what if they ask to turn my phone on and then they see it? guess i can just book out and come back another day :eek: lol

7. xlost6 macrumors 6502

I was worried about this also. I put my iPhone 5 in DFU mode and restored it back to iOS 6.1.4. I'm going Friday to get a replacement or swap out for $229. My iPhone 5 screen is cracked and the iPhone is bent.

But they shouldn't care you have iOS 7. They are concerned that you are paying them for the swap or replacement.

8. marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah very true. For all they know i could be a developer :) lol

9. darster Suspended

Apple doesn't care unless they are replacing it for free. You pay for new screen or for replacement phone for $229, they will not even blink or ask questions. You are not voiding the warranty since you are paying.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you have AppleCare Plus they will replace the screen or phone for ($49 in US).

11. marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

12. laxman303 macrumors newbie

For all that they know you are a developer with a legal copy of ios 7. The only way they could know it was illegal is if they checked your apple id to see that it isnt a developer account. And i agree, they won't think twice about it, they are just there to fix the screen and get payed for it. but on the side note, if you really wanted to revert back to ios 6.1.4 just download the ipsw from somewhere and install 6 the same way that you installed 7. (hold option key when you click restore and select the ipsw file.) with my experience with beta 3 though it is much smoother and less bugs. EDIT: and to keep your contacts, photos, etc. add them to iCloud so that they sync with your account and will be brought over to your ios 6 iPhone.

13. marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha. thank you for your response. I have yet to been asked to update to beta 3 but it should soon.

14. laxman303 macrumors newbie

It doesn't ever ask I don't think. If you just go general>software update it should show that there is a new update.

15. marcbez thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried that. All i got was "iOS7.0 your software is up to date. hmph...

16. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Dude. Here are the steps to get iOS 6 back on your device.

-Connect your iPhone 5 to the computer.
    -Open iTunes
    -Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds
    -Without releasing the Power button, press the hold the Home button as well for 10 seconds.

-Now, Release the Power Button and keep holding the Home button.

Hold it down till iTunes notify you that Your device has been detected in Recovery Mode.

Release the home button.

And then your iPhone 5 will go into Recovery Mode and will install iOS 6 back to factory settings.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

A genius will not work on iOS 7 devices.

You can easily restore to iOS 6.1.4 via DFU AND restore the latest 6.1.4 backup.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Also known as a DFU restore.

marcbez: Two thoughts for future:
    • don't load a beta if you don't know how to get back out of it
    • Google would have solved your problem in ten seconds. Put "restore iphone from beta" and you get gives several links each with instruction to downgrade.

19. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

restore it to 6.1.4 and set the iphone as new... DO NOT SHOW THEM iOS 7

they'll replace the phone for you, bring it back plug it in and shift update to ios 7 beta 3 then set it up with your ios 7 backup.. wait for the final version updating the betas

if you don't mind losing your stuff set it up as new

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Why Google it when he can come here and get help and attention at the same time?

21. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Wait, so the replacement iPhone 5 can also be uploaded with iOS 7 beta too? I thought if you give them your iPhone 5 that was registered for the beta then the replacement iPhone 5 wouldn't have been registered at all. Correct?

22. Ann P macrumors 68020

In this case, the OP obtained the beta illegally.

23. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

For the first two betas a dev account wasn't necessary if you wanted to install iOS 7 on your device. Maybe they changed it now in beta 3, but yeah, Apple seems to have stopped checking whether IMEIs are registered or not...was the same with iOS 6 betas if my mind serves me correctly.

24. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Oh! I see. Well I gave someone my UDID and they registered it under their developer's account.

Thanks. I did not know that :)

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Beta3 can be installed with the same work-around. I'm not so sure it's that Apple has ceased checking as much as it's that they've not closed the workaround people found. Which may be effectively the same thing, just nuanced.