Help: iPhone 5 keypad for code gone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7enderbender, Apr 14, 2013.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I'm new to this so bear with me but I couldn't find anything about this one. I've been struggling with my new iPhone for most of the weekend and finally went on to reset everything to reinstall from a backup in iTunes.

Problem now is that it is asking me to set up a new passcode (under a corporate policy restriction that requires a 5+ digit code). Before the reset I was able to use a 6 numbers code on a regular large 10 digit keypad. Now it's asking me to create a new one but only gives me the silly little alpha keyboard. I'll go crazy if I have to type in a code on that 50 times a day. There must be a way to get at least the "regular" large 10 digit numbers pad back.

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Go to settings>general>pass code lock and turn off simple pass code.

Edit:

I just re-read your post. You want a 6 digit pass code but the large "dialer" looking keypad?

3. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I can't. This is grayed out because of the corporate security policy of my Exchange server at work. I didn't have the 4 digit simple pass code before either. It required 5 digits before but it was on a normal big number pad and not a tiny qwerty keyboard.

If nothing else helps I'll have to see if deleting the Exchange account will do the trick. And then start over. How annoying is all this. I'm like one inch away from asking T-mobile to turn my old BB9700 with the busted screen back on.

4. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Ok. I get what you're saying. I didn't know exchange had that much control. as far as I know once you went beyond a 4 digit code, it was always qwerty. This is what allowed you to have a more complex code. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm not to familiar with exchange protocols.

5. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Correct. I understand the need for a pass code that is more than 4 numbers. But if this can't be done with one thumb operation it's a deal breaker (that and the unreliable icloud push mail today and the mail app itself really).

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Just tried the same thing, no dice. That's just how it is with the 4+ passcode option I'm afraid. I can definitely see how frustrating that would be.

Attached Files:

7. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Have you ever had it this way? In other words, was it like this in previous versions? Over never seen it like this.

8. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Yes, it was like this before I reset the device this afternoon to get my iCloud mail working (hopefully). I'm trying to reverse engineer now how I set it up on Friday. I think I first had a four-digit pass code on a large numbers pad, then added my corporate Exchange server - which complained about lack of security asking for a new 5+ digit code. Good thing was I could still enter it on the same large numbers pad only I chose 6 numbers instead of the original 4.

I'll give an update if this works (again).

9. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Yes, I can confirm that my above described method works.

1) Set up phone with 4 digit code
    2) AFTER that set up corporate Exchange account with security requirement
    3) iPhone will give you a pop-up asking for a new 5 digit code - this can then be entered on the large 10 digit numbers pad

A reset of network settings will not do anything to the passcode. Resetting All Settings will wreak havoc.

Maybe this helps some other poor soul who thought that switching was a good idea. Now, I can get push mail to work correctly I'll be quiet...

10. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

It only asks you to type in a password with the alphanumeric keyboard when you're setting up your password. If you made a password with all numbers, it only shows the numpad at the lock screen.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

Awesome, you're right!

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

So if OP tried to actually use his phone instead of going to the Internet to complain he would have saved himself a lot of frustration. :D