Help. Is the "Antenna" Issue still present in New Batches of Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Oct 23, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

so i got my mom an iPhone 4 (she didnt want the iPhone4s for an extra hundred bucks) & got myself and my dad a 4s......the phones havent arrived yet but i was wondering if the antenna issue that plagued the iphone 4 when it was first released is still an issue in newer batches?

if so would a case solve the problem? or is it necessary to buy a bumper?

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Only a Verizon 4 or any 4S will truly resolve the issue.

3. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Unless Apple has redesigned the antenna on the GSM iPhone 4 (I don't think they did) the issue will still be there. That being said, the antenna issue was never that big a deal for me. I used the iPhone 4 for the year and a half and I never used a case with it. Though I was able to slow down the 3G data speed by "death-gripping" the phone, the issue never seemed to have a real effect on my experience. I never noticed calls dropping more than usual (though that's not saying much with AT&T), and everything else about the phone was great. My advice would be to not worry about it. If you find the problem is really an issue, a case will take care of it.

Edit: also if you got the CDMA model of the iPhone 4 it will not have the antenna issue since it uses the same design as the 4S (you didn't mention what carrier you have).

4. dmx macrumors 6502

Considering what your going to be paying for the plan, you need to convince her to return/cancel and go for the 4S for another $100. Much more future proofed - faster processor, much better camera, and less worry about antenna.

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

All i know is my iPhone 4 gets better reception than anyone else's phone whenever they ask about it and we compare. (voice calls and 3G downloads)

6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm im interested in hearing more...

to be quite honest my mom is french and her english is heavily accented. Siri wouldnt understand half the things she would say anyway...

i had to convince her to go from the 3gs (which would be free with the plan) to the 4...

also her data plan is only $15 a month. (250mb )

7. ilugram macrumors member

Siri has a French option so she could just talk to it in French

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

No

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/iphone-4s-seems-to-fix-death-grip-antenna-issue/

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, get her a non-metal case & it'll be fine.

11. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I got a refurbished iPhone 4 and it does have the death grip issue.

I like my phone naked so i purchased a complete bestskinsever.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes, all GSM iPhone 4 models are still defective.

I have an AT&T family plan with five lines activated. The only phones we have calling problems with are the iPhone 4s. I gave my 3GS to my son & it will easily make calls when my iPhone 4 won't.

Depite the spin and denial of Steve Jobs, the poor antenna design of the iP4 kills it's ability to function properly. Ignoring the facts does _not_ solve the defect. Avoid the iP4 at all costs.

The iPhone 4S is an excellent phone for two reasons. First, they improved the same antenna that Jobs claimed was fine. Second they included a new baseband processor that is the proper frequency to function correctly on the global GSM standard frequencies as implemented by AT&T.

Sadly this is proof positive the old CEO had no problem lying to his customers. Anything for a sale. Even worse he had so much influence over his followers they would stop thinking for themselves and turn into yes men at the drop of a hat.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

The GSM iPhone 4 never caused me problems, although I did develop a habit of not touching that bottom-left break in the antenna. It's nice to be able to hold the 4S in any way without worry!

And yeah, I really don't think the 8GB iPhone 4 is worth the money. The 4S 16GB is only a bit more and is a lot, lot better.

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

There never was an "antenna issue" with the iPhone 4

Just hold the iPhone 4 like a normal person would, don't try to purposely make the iPhone lose reception my man handling it