HELP! itunes ****ed my mac. if you can solve this then you are a true genius and hero

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helpme999, Nov 23, 2009.

1. helpme999 macrumors newbie

it all started when itunes told me to upgrade to the 9.0 version. I did that, and once i was on 9.0 the itunes store would not work because it needed the newer version of safari. I tried to download it, but my computer is not new enough for it or something therefor i could not upgrade the safari. SO, i then decided i wanted itunes 8.0 back. At first i thought i could just redownload it, which did not work. I then read that the 9.0 has to be uninstalled before i could downgrade. I did that, and when i downloaded 8.0, none of my music was in there... i got frustrated and redownloaded the 9.0, in hopes of my music being back. Well, it wasn't.
    It gets much worse. All of a sudden everytime i would try to open an application, it said that there is not enough memory. my mac has never said that before, and i know that the memory was fine. i can't drag any items, no pictures from sites onto my desktop. I cannot drag anything, it just wont move. i can't upload ANTHING due to the "zero mb" which is not true, and when it tells me to delete things to bring back mb, nothing changes. i cannot upload anything such as pictures from my digi camera, my firefox also got effected, the back button simply does not work. I can't "copy paste" anything since it won't paste when i press it. I can't even transfer any of the data on this mac to my new mac. It doesnt let me burn anything to a disk, i can't open important applications, i can't save anything what so ever. i can't take things out of trash bin due to the dragging option not working.
    This all started after i downloaded itunes 9.0 and then tried to bring it back to 8.0.

PLEASE if anyone knows what the hell im talking about i am desperate to know what is going on here and how to fix it! THANK YOU!

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

do you have a back up of your system?

try a archive & install of your system to see if that would help.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Time Traveling Dude

I will look more into this later, but for now, I will offer a few suggestions. As for your music, look for this directory ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes_Music because this is where your music was most likely at.

Right click on the icon of your hard drive and click the "Get Info" button. You should have a panel that tells you info about your hard drive. There should be an "Available" section. How much is it? If it's 0.00GB then I can't help but think that the "iTunes 8.0 that you downloaded was a virus. (Don't flame me 'bout it peoples.)

I know how you feel, when you were just trying to do some simple little thing and your whole computer just comes crashing down. So I won't stop here. But for now, that is all the time I have. Do you have a time machine backup? That usually helps things along.

4. helpme999 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i think it is a virus, but doesnt apple never get a virus?

5. burns863 macrumors newbie

I wish to god people would get out of this mind set.

Any computer - no matter what operating system it is running - is susceptible to malware.

6. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

There are no viruses for OS X only malware (and is a user installed problem) and if the OP downloaded iTunes from Apple there is no chance of malware being installed.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This is going to become one heck of a thread soon. It always does.
    [​IMG]

8. helpme999 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, any chance you have a backup you could restore from?

10. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

When you uninstalled and then reinstalled iTunes, it likely started importing your music and movies, making copies of all of it and using all your remaining disk space. Low disk would explain all the other symptoms, as there is no space left for virtual memory.

11. Blair230 macrumors regular

OP: Please try to be more specific-

What type of mac do you have? If you are unsure how to do this, go under the apple menu then select "about this mac". When the window opens up, click the "more info" button. Copy and paste the info here.

Try to also clarify WHY safari would not install. What exactly did it say?

Also:

What version of the operating system are you running-you can also get this info from the "about this mac" window.
    The "zero mb" you refer to I am assuming is how much free hard drive space you have. What thelimit said is true...with zero mb free, the computer will have many problems similar to what you are experiencing.

How much free space did you have before installing itunes? Any idea?

12. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Here is your answer most likely.

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Here is what i would do,

under your account name check your music folder's size,

you will need to move this folder to a external drive or dvd's,

then empty this folder into your trash can,

grab a copy of onyx (free from apple's site)

dump all versions of itunes ,

run onyx under cleaning, check everything and let it clean out the caches and the kernal

repair your permissions under disk utility,

reinstall itunes 8.0

reimport your backed up library.

dont forget to dump your duplicates

i had a customer with this problem before....

what a time it was.....

14. Finkah macrumors newbie

Which version of OSX are you running? You can't upgrade Safari unless you're on 10.5.8 or 10.6; it'll just give you an error otherwise. You should be able to upgrade your OS unless you're using a patched kernel on a hackintosh, which'll require a lot more work.

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Looks like you called it wrong.

16. davidlv macrumors 65816

Love that "popcorn" icon!

Don't tease the animals! :apple::eek::apple: