Help! I've fallen and I can't get up; or rather, I need some advice on a new MBP.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sunyourbuns, Jul 4, 2009.

  1. sunyourbuns macrumors newbie

    Jul 4, 2009
    Hello, I'm a longtime lurker, but first time poster in this forum.

    After looking around this forum, I've decided that I'm going to buy a new Macbook Pro with the Back-to-School Promotion. Now, the real issue.

    I've looked around a bunch of threads that helped decide and differentiate between the 2.26 and 2.53 GHz 13" MBP's. I think the general consensus is to just buy the baseline MBP and upgrade the RAM and HDD if I'm just going to perform basic tasks (iTunes, Word, Safari, etc.).

    I've pretty much decided on buying the 2.26 GHz 13" MBP because it is more cost efficient to upgrade it myself. I know that I can upgrade the RAM to 4GB for cheaper than the Apple Store offers. I also am looking into eventually upgrading the HDD to a SSD that is around 256 GB, because it can make the computer performance significantly speedier without a faster processor. However, I will only buy my MBP with the baseline configuration if the SSD's get more affordable... and soon.

    Otherwise, I am really contemplating buying the 2.53 GHz 13" MBP just to save the hassle of not knowing when and for how much I can upgrade the harddrive and ultimately getting a (slightly) speedier computer.

    So basically, my question is: Does anyone know when the higher-capacity SSD drives will become more available and affordable? If not, which option would you recommend me choosing for now?
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604


    Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Performance all depends on how you'll use it, if you like dragging around an external and having a speedy drive the internal 256GB SSD will work.

    If you don't want to play around with an external, a 500+GB notebook drive will work just as well.

    One you run into the size limitation of the drive, all the time you save with a small speedy drive comes due, when you start managing the documents on the drive and swapping stuff on and off the drive.
  4. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    The base model will probably be more than sufficient for your needs at the moment; yes, SSDs will be cheaper and better, but all technology improves and one can second guess oneself forever while waiting. If you need a computer, buy it now and enjoy it. If you merely want one, I suggest that you wait. If you buy now, and something stunning comes down the tracks, either upgrade or sell and buy the more recent product.

    Cheers and good luck
  5. iOrlando macrumors 68000

    Jul 20, 2008
    just buy the base model and forget about it. normal everyday will never be able to tell the difference..and probably even if you stretch its still probably cant tell
  6. mdgolom macrumors 6502

    Oct 26, 2006
    I just went out this past weekend and bought a MBP 2.26ghz 13". Since I had a staff ID, I was able to upgrade the ram from 2GB to 4GB for $90.00. I figured it's $30.00 more than doing it myself (I realize I don't get to keep the old memory), and I didn't have to hassle with opening the back of the MBP. Had I decided to replace the HD immediately, I would have done both myself.
  7. sunyourbuns thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 4, 2009
    Thanks for your input, buddies! I ordered my brand spankin' new 2.26 13" Macbook Pro last night! Now I just need to twiddle my fingers and wait... for its July 20 ship date. Nooooooooooo.
  8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000


    May 22, 2009
    The fun part is tracking your package every single second :D

Share This Page