Help! I've fallen (in a puddle) and I can't get up! (Now I can sue the cripple)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by nbs2, Oct 10, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn.

There are few people that would want a police officer to suffer a painful and tortuous death. I am not one of them. But, I am willing to make an exception here. I'm not sure I can conceive anything quite bad enough.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is sad, pathetic, and horrible.

isn't there such a thing as work's comp for this stuff? it happened on the job after all.

this just baffles me and i'm at a loss for words.

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Sometimes, greed knows no bounds.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

W/C usually only pays medical bills. It's pretty hard for a patient to get a pain & suffering settlement out of it unless there is gross neglect on the part of the employer (not the case here). This is why in the phone book there are like 50 mva (motor vehicle accident) attorneys to every 1 W/C attorney.

Pretty big negligence on the part of the parents imo, but I don't think the cop has a case. Maybe she's just pissed at the parents.

5. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Honestly I feel so bad for that child! IMHO if he was on the vegre of life and death, and if you kept him alive he cannot move talk or even swallow, i would vote death. No matter how sad it may be that child is gonna be in a lot of pain in his life.:(

I am not blaming the parents or anything just sating my opinion. And stupid cop:mad:

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sorry but if my child was on the verge of death I wouldn't give a damn if half my house had been demolished let alone a puddle of water in the kitchen. The cop should take responsibility for not looking where she was going.

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:rolleyes:

The parents were negligent by letting the child roam freely in an unsafe environment. That is what lead to all this.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The floor was wet because the kid was soaked in water and dying.

Imagine if a house was broken into, and she cut herself on broken glass from a window that was smashed. What is she going to do.....sue the home owner? Eventually, this woman was going to sue someone for something.

Just accept it.....accidents are a part of life. I don't really think anybody is responsible for the water and the tumble.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I doubt they can find a jury to award her anything substantial. I have a hard time believing she can be so greedy. There must be more to this story.

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Watch this story. I bet there is more to it. The police officer is probably in debt up to her ears or something like that. (Or have I been watching too much TV lately?)

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Unfortunately, when you perform CPR on someone, you don't know what their condition will be. They could make a full recovery, they could become profoundly disabled, or they could be pronounced dead.

Many children have had CPR done on them and they lived a normal life afterward. The only way the guardian's can choose death now is to disconnect him from his airway tube and feeding tube like Terry Schiavo but this family is hoping for a miracle so that is unlikely.

That cop is a ****ing ******* :mad:

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Since when is a puddle of water considered a danger to a police officer? They are trained to deal with armed criminals and dangerous psycopaths, but she was unable to navigate the evil puddle of water that the mother failed to wipe up as her baby was dying. :mad:

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

This whole story makes my stomach turn. Police are in no way obligated to help anybody. It doesn't say anywhere that they are required to help any body. It the puddle was so much of a risk i would argue why she decided to go charging into that room before surveying the scene.

I think the grandparents should counter sue from undue stress, and harassment.

And i can only wish that the judge would fine the cop and attorney for wasting the court's time and money.

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Ok, this may be a dumb question.

Why would you get a cop to come when its a medical emergency?

15. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Actually, cops are emergency responders and thus are legally obligated to render assistance. That obligation is why, even in states with narrow good samaritan statutes, they are protected. However, at the same time I don't believe that the parents can be viewed as having breached their duty to protect the cop. Given the timing and emergency, it would have been unreasonable to expect them to have cleaned the puddle.

Not a dumb question. But, in most emergencies, police are the most qualified to look for evidence to determine what happened, manage witnesses, etc.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not so much the police. Castle Rock v. Gonzales, DeShaney v. Winnebago County, and Burella v. City of Philadelphia come to mind. The courts have found time and time again that the police are under no obligation to protect anyone. That makes them little more than janitors with guns.

17. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract