Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frldyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
Aghhh.. Loosing HD quality on larger videos w/ sending

<-- New iphone user (5s)

My wife and I take and share lots of videos of our daughter back and forth via texting. We have noticed that with longer ( larger file size ) videos the quality goes to poop.
Is there anyway around this?
We both have imessage set up ( Not exactly sure what the purpose of imessage is anyways...?).

I have read we might be limited to the file size depending on our carrier.

I have Sprint, she has Verizon. Both of us have a 5s.

I've read there are apps. that can eliminate this?
If yes, does that mean we both need to have this app?

*** I've read of something called dropbox? You upload the large file / HD quality video to Dropbox. Then via Dropbox send a link to the other person. And they can click the link to watch or download the video form the link? If yes the can dowload the video from the link does it still have the HD quality?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'd suggest setting up a shared photostream with the videos.

That way, you get the HD quality (I think) and you have a neat album of all the videos.

Although, if you are on Wifi I don't think iMessage will limit the size of the movie you send, so make sure you're on Wifi.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
But when sharing the videos, is this always done when you're away from one another? If you can wait until you're together, just send the videos via airdrop.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I'd suggest setting up a shared photostream with the videos.

That way, you get the HD quality (I think) and you have a neat album of all the videos.

Although, if you are on Wifi I don't think iMessage will limit the size of the movie you send, so make sure you're on Wifi.

If you are talking about Apple's Photostream, it doesn't support video.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
If you are talking about Apple's Photostream, it doesn't support video.

It infact does. It doesnt automatically backup Videos to your personal photostream.

OP Do This Instead, it works much better!

Go to settings>iCloud>Photos and make sure 'Photo Sharing' is on.
Then open your photos App click on the shared tab.

Now you can add a new Shared Stream and send an invite to your Wife. It will create a new Shared Stream to which you can add Photos & Videos. You can even name the stream.

All Photos & Videos you add to that stream will be automatically synced to your Wife's Phone. If you wanted you can also generate link to share with people who dont have iPhone, they will be able to view it through their browser.

I do something similar with my GF. We have a dedicated Shared Stream and everytime we want to share pics or videos we simply put it in that stream and everything gets synced automatically. This works MUCH better than having to go through the trouble of Dropbox.

frldyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
ok...

So in order for a high quality video to be send via imessage, the sender needs to be on a wifi connection.

We do not use wifi @ home. We just use our cellular connection.

But if I am @ work and send my wife a video. And @ work I am connected to a wifi connection I can send her the video in the hd quality it was taken?

basically you need a wifi connection to send the high quality videos via text?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
ok...

So in order for a high quality video to be send via imessage, the sender needs to be on a wifi connection.

We do not use wifi @ home. We just use our cellular connection.

But if I am @ work and send my wife a video. And @ work I am connected to a wifi connection I can send her the video in the hd quality it was taken?

basically you need a wifi connection to send the high quality videos via text?

I believe iMessage will always lower the quality of the video or picture. But if what your saying is true, youll have to always ensure your wife is on WiFi before sending which seems like a hassle.

Trying Using the shared streams like I mentioned above.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I was under the impression that ANY type of text (incl. iMessage) compresses the data and HD is not possible.

patrickcox

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
It infact does. It doesnt automatically backup Videos to your personal photostream.

OP Do This Instead, it works much better!

Go to settings>iCloud>Photos and make sure 'Photo Sharing' is on.
Then open your photos App click on the shared tab.

Now you can add a new Shared Stream and send an invite to your Wife. It will create a new Shared Stream to which you can add Photos & Videos. You can even name the stream.

All Photos & Videos you add to that stream will be automatically synced to your Wife's Phone. If you wanted you can also generate link to share with people who dont have iPhone, they will be able to view it through their browser.

I do something similar with my GF. We have a dedicated Shared Stream and everytime we want to share pics or videos we simply put it in that stream and everything gets synced automatically. This works MUCH better than having to go through the trouble of Dropbox.

Very helpful. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.