Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brookecrofts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
I just updated my Mac to Yosemite OS X 10.10 and while the update and install were being performed I had an external HD that was connected and everything was wiped from it. All of my folders and the folder structure is still there, but the folders are empty. When I look at the "get info" on the HD, it still appears that all my files should be there, given the data used/available, so I'm hopeful it can be recovered, but not sure what to do. I ran the verify and repair disk in the Disk Utility and it didn't report any errors, but it also didn't bring back any of the files. Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
If you're comfortable with terminal, can you view the contents of those folders from there?

brookecrofts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
@jdphoto My tech has the machine right now, but I believe we have explored that, and are not seeing them there. I have sent that question to him to confirm...

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I could swear something like this happened in the Mavericks update last year with the same HDD manufacturer where people would be unable to search their drives. I think it had something to do with the bundled software that came with the WD drive.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I could swear something like this happened in the Mavericks update last year with the same HDD manufacturer where people would be unable to search their drives. I think it had something to do with the bundled software that came with the WD drive.

I was thinking the same thing--seems with Mavericks there was a genuine problem with bundled WD software--other isolated external drive problems were not directly attributable to Mavericks.

brookecrofts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for the input benthewraith - I'll forward this to my tech and see if he has explored this at all. -- I'll be sure to post the end results with this. Any and all ideas are welcomed and appreciated as we are almost exhausted or our ideas... still crossing my fingers that I'll be able to recover this data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.