Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
Hey!

I hate pcs as much as everyone else. BUt here me out here. In my house we have a cable modem, it goes into an ethernet hub. Into one of the bays we have our airport, which sends sweet wireless internet to two ibooks and an imac. Our friend just moved in an he is trying to get his pc on the net, but he doesnt want to get a wireless card. We plugged an ethernet cable into one of the open spots on the hub and threw it into his dell's ethernet port, but to no avail, someone please help me!

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I went to the network settings through the control panel, and nowhere do i see a place to turn DCHP on or off.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
im guessing this is an Airport v1 base station?? Only has one ethernet port, and its the WAN??

if hes not willing to get a wireless card, hes not willing to get internet :)

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
It is a version one Base station but that should matter, doesnt the hub share the cable connection, like the airport that is plugged into the hub, should a cord from the hub to the pc work for the net as well.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Right click on the LAN connection in Network Settings, go to properties...

Under properties highlight TCP/IP and then click properties/settings/options (I forget the name of the button). The first tab in the following dialog bax should have the checkboxes and for DHCP.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
hmmmm, not a huge investment for a wireless card, especially for PC's, does he work?

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by nickyj182
I went to the network settings through the control panel, and nowhere do i see a place to turn DCHP on or off.

did you look on the pc or the mac? i meant to look on the pc

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i had a somewhat similar issue, but i am doing what i think you want to do...
I have DSL and have my TiBook connected via airport and my PC laptop plugged into the hub....what you may need to look at is if you have the hub (and i mean HUB not ROUTER) plugged into the modem and the airport plugged into it the hub. the airport is probably default acting as a DHCP server. basically its pulling an IP then sending out a network IP to your macs. If your PC is plugged into the hub it may not ba able to pull a second IP from the cable modem(my old cable modem wouldnt let us) so you either need a router to act as the DHCP server and set the airport to act as just a hub OR plug airport into the modem, then the hub into the airport and the PC should be able to pull a network IP issued by airport.

luckily with a cable modem you wont have to go into your router and make it a DHCP server and PPoE dialer like i had to!:)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
ok, here's my set up...one iBook on airport (connected to hub) then a B&W into the hub, another iBook into the hub (no airport card, and smashed screen so it has to be locked to a monitor) & one PC (neighbors) plugged into the hub

amazingly it all works (however, I seem to be having connection issues with the lan locked iBook)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.