Help!!!! Mac Won't Log Me In On One Of My Accounts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaywongy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jaywongy macrumors member

jaywongy

Ok so i installed new software onto my mac then it told me to restart so i did. When it ran up again it gave me the log in screen so I logged in and typed my password in. Then it just gives me the default background and a cursor. I can log in on my other two accounts but all of my data is on the account I cant log in on! I have got Filevault enabled if that could be the problem?? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

don't use filevault and hope you have a good backup.

Did you try resetting the password? I'm not sure how FV works when you boot up off the install disc and reset the password.

3. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

If worst comes to worst, can't you copy your home folder from another account? It should be in /Users/<your username>.

4. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

yes i could copy the files from another account but i would lose all of my pictures and videos wouldn't I?:(

5. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

What I meant was, log into another account, copy your home folder from your account to somewhere else on the HD (don't move it, that'd screw it up for sure, but make a copy) then get your files from it (assuming you can open FireVault folders with the password) and make a new account to put them in.

6. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

ok i tried reseting the password from another admin account and it gives me the error: CSSM_ERRCODE_MEMORY_ERROR (but i haven't used an account from the installation disk i just used an account i don't usually use on it

7. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

ok i think im screwed i've just looked in my account home folder and there's nothing there... GREAT!!!!!! :eek:

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I'm doing some Googling on the error you got, and it seems that it's linked to problems with the home folder. I'm having a look at this right now: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9232644 perhaps parts of his solution may help you?

EDIT: Also see if repairing the permissions does anything to help, always worth a shot, especially since this is clearly something to do with files.

9. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

why the hell has this happened all i did was restarted my computer! :(

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

May I ask what software it was you installed? Try uninstalling it from the other account if repairing the permissions won't work.

11. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

i installed a trial for VirusBarrier X5 il give it a shot at uninstalling it :rolleyes:

12. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Hmm those anti-virus programs for Macs are known to cause more problems than they fix... You honestly don't need them anyway.

13. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

could my files not be in there because of something to do with filevault?

14. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Maybe, or maybe it's just stopping them from showing up. Either way it seems to have clashed with the anti-virus software.

15. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

ok its fixed now :D big thanks to iPhone 62S and maflynn :cool: and now i warn everyone who reads this form to not download the trial for VirusBarrier X5 because you don't need it and it will mess ur mac up stick with apples default :apple:

16. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Glad it's all sorted and glad I helped too :)

17. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

and if you messed up like me and just deleted the application then install it again and use the uninstaller tool included in the .dmg file ;)

18. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I also find that AppDelete can come in handy for apps with no uninstaller ;)