Help - MacBook Air 13” 2013 keyboard and trackpad frozen at login

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JerTheGeek, May 1, 2018.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello, i’m having an issue with my dad’s 2013 13” MacBook Air. He just opened it up as usual and found a black screen with some notifications on the side. I forced shut it down using the power button, then powered it back on and was able to get the login screen, but the keyboard and trackpad were unresponsive. So I tried it again and am getting the same results after shutting it down. I tried a PRAM reset as it seemed to be reccomended for a similar issue; but this has not changed anything from what I can see. As I said the power button works, but the keyboard and mouse (via trackpad) are not working on the login screen. What’s going on here? Just looking for some help please, thanks, Jer.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

do you have an external usb mouse and/or keyboard? See if they work. Alternatively, if you have another computer, you could VPN in and see if you can control it.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Just tried external Bluetooth mouse. It works. Don’t have external keyboard available right now but I imagine it would work as well. What does this indicate?

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

While you cant be sure unless you take it apart, I would guess that the keyboard/trackpad has broken, or perhaps the cable has come loose. Not sure if the MBA has a single connection for the KB/TP, but older Mac laptops did.

Maybe a loose connection or a short.

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks, just dropped it off at a local computer shop that works with Macs, hopefully should be able to fix whatever is up.