help MacBook Pro 13” Early 2011 memory stick

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmartinez, Apr 7, 2012.

1. mmartinez macrumors newbie

mmartinez

Hi:
    I need some help with a MacBook Pro 13” Early 2011, I tied to update the Ram to 8GB, (Crucial 4x2), I was able to remove the 2 original sticks and inserted the bottom one and then the upper one, I put the plate back and tested the machine, it showed only 4GB, I was going to swap both modules but the lower is stuck. I have tried pushing the levers on the sides of the memory module in an outward, I have tried opening the levers with a file nail and it just stuck.
    I went to Best Buy and the technician, without seeing the memory module said that they charge $50.00 and do not guarantee the results, which I understand, however I wanted to try to see if there is another solution before I spent the money.

I see 4 screws at each side of the memory module and wondering if removing these screws would let me release the bottom stick.
    Thank you
    Mario

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Use the second recessed joint on the plastic to get the lower DIMM out. The front plastic releases only go so far. Do the front and release the top stick. Then move in a few centimeters and pry the inner indents.
    Also, wrong forum. This is for desktop Mac Pro tower.

3. mmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

mmartinez

MacBook Pro 13” Early 2011 memory stick 2

Thank you for your reply, would you please do one more favor for me?
    I have attached a picture of my macbook pro memory module and would like to know the location of "second recessed joint on the plastic". if you could just point to it, I will appreciate it.
    Thank you
    Mario

Attached Files:

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Well. Looking at this it does not appear to have my expected "indents" no matter. Apply equal pressure "out" around this area it should move up only slightly. Then pull out toward you (up and out). Try ifixit.com for actual picks of memory installs if this is too imaginative for your liking. Also kind of looks like it is stuck under the front plate. If this is the case push it back in and then back out.

Attached Files:

5. mmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

mmartinez

you are right, it is stuck under the front plate, well stuck, I have changed memory before, but this is the worst. I thank you for all your help, I will try your suggestions. if you have any other ideas or other advise, all are welcome.
    thank you
    Mario

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

How strong are your fingernails? You may be able to use your thumbnail on a black memory square to push it back in so you can release it upwards. Needle nose pliers, flat head screwdriver, all ESD safe, of course.

7. mmartinez thread starter macrumors newbie

mmartinez

I finally did it with a picture hanging bracket, I want to thank you for all your suggestions, it is people like you that encourage people like me to do what seemed impossible.
    Thank you
    Mario