Help me choose a monitor for rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mplex, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mplex macrumors newbie

First of all, I'm coming from a 2011 MBA with a thunderbolt display, and that setup has been fantastic for me. I'm not a power user or gamer, but I like a big monitor at my desk and to take my only laptop with me to meetings as well as walk to work. I understand the limitations, but I also believe this is the right machine for me given how much I move around. I never felt limited by my 2011 MBA, so I don't see why this machine can't handle a similar setup.

That being said, I want to get the best monitor possible for this laptop. I plan to use the laptop in clamshell mode with an HDMI adapter at my desk. I was hoping to get the Philips 40in 4k monitor, but 30hz isn't going to cut it. If I got a smaller 4k monitor and ran it at a lower resolution, would that look decent with all the extra pixels? Otherwise, how about one of these super widescreen 21:9 3440x1440 monitors? I want the best monitor possible for this machine and can budget up to $1200 or so.

Has anyone else figured this out? I don't want to risk laggy performance, but I'm not doing much graphics work. Ideally I'd just use my thunderbolt display, but I can't find a solution for it. If anyone has tested some larger monitors with this laptop, I'd love to hear the results.

Thanks

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I would wait for actual confirmation of what monitors will do what. Apple themselves have changed and contradicted the information about what resolutions and frequencies it'll support.

Failing that, wait for your rMB and then walk into the shop and try it!

3. mplex thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the rMB is here, but I'm waiting for the HDMI adapters. I guess everyone else is as well, because it's hard to find information on monitors beyond 1440p in here. Too bad Apple didn't release a USB-C hub type monitor or I'd be all over it.

Thanks!

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I can give a hearty recommendation for the Dell U2715H. I have two of these. One replaced my old Cinema display. High quality, reasonably priced, thin bezels, lots of USB ports, HDMI / displayport. Can do 1440P over HDMI. It's a good monitor.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Same here, though mine is the 25" model. Excellent monitors.

6. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i have question about how well it will perform when rendering at 4K. I mean, I can feel it barely can do the native resolution of the screen as it is.. (See UI lag threads)

if people's intention is to have it plugged in a lot, maybe MBP is a better option?

7. meboy macrumors regular

The Dell U2515H 2560x1440p 25"

27" at 1440p is too low of a DPI. Text is too fuzzy for me.
    25" at 1440p should be perfect.

Don't even think about 4k with the rMB.. It won't handle it.

8. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

9. meboy macrumors regular

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

11. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

Ha! Those reviews almost scared me off as well. There is no lag with my rMB.

I now see the OP's $1200 budget. There are definitley better monitors out there within that budget. Just throwing a budget minded option out there considering what he's using it for.

12. wardbjuk macrumors newbie

Bingo - great monitor and a built in USB hub. Will be perfect for the desk to plug into using the USB/HDMI adaptor when at home.

13. mplex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I don't really notice an UI lag as is (did a fresh install), so I should be fine. Minimum choice will be a 1440p display and I've always liked the dells. I think I'll wait until someone tests a 21:9 3440x1440p display before I make a choice. Looking at something like this: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

I plan to run in clamshell mode at my desk, so hopefully even with that display, it should run ok. I may wonder around at work and see if anyone has one of these new QHD monitors already. Someone here already has a grey market 40in 4k, so who knows. I'll be sure to report back once I find something that works. There's something about finding the biggest monitor for Apple's smallest laptop that appeals to me ;)

Thanks again...