Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattevil

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2002
I'm moving into a dorm sight unseen soon (transferring) so I've decided to ditch my crt in favor of something that might fit on my desk.

I'm looking for something in the 17-20 inch range and a maybe a dvi connection.
I first looked at the Samsung SyncMaster 173P but it looks like you have to have a pc to adjust brightness,contrast,etc.
I looked at apple's 17 inch display but it a tad expensive for something that looks like it's at end of life
the Formac Gallery 1740 looks pretty good but i'm having a hard time finding it for sale online.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I've been mulling over the three above but I'm welcome to any other monitors you suggest.I'd appreciate any replies because august the 20th is approaching all too fast.

On a sidenote this is going to be connected to a 2002 Quicksilver Dual 1 Ghz G4 tower with a NIVIDIA Geforce4mx card so will I be able to hook this up with DVI out of the box?This is my first lcd so forgive the ignorance.

BTW i did look at a couple of other monitor threads here but didn't feel they fit my question or were a little old.

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
don't know too much about good lcd's but be sure to use froogle.com to find the best prices.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
For cheaper 19" or so VGA plug displays both NEC and Viewsonic make good ones. When I got mine for work last year it was about $600. The 19" NEC has controls via the monitor itself and has a pretty good lcd panel.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I LOVE my Apple 17". Bought it almost a year ago and it's definitely the best monitor I've ever had. Don't by the Formac. I've heard it looks quite cheap and the company itself is questionable at best.

I'm not sure about any other monitors. If you check CNET, Apple monitors have some of the highest ratings.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I would suggest the 17in apple. Its only 599 now and that is a good price for it. I bought one when they cvame out, and it is the best monitor that i have ever seen, with the exclusion of apples larger lcds. It has a very wide viewing angle and is very bright, brighter than most. I would not worry about the fact that it is at the end of its life. The monitor will still come with a warranty and its not like lcd technology has changed so much that it is suddenly out of date. I have been using mine for i guess 3 years and have no dead pixels. If i were going to buy another monitor i would be buying the $599 17in studio display. For the money it is the best quality lcd that i have seen.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I'd recommend the Iiyama ProLite E431S.

Better image quality than the Apple 17". I've used both products extensively. The Iiyama is also much cheaper and has dual inputs - DVI and VGA, and will work with your Quicksilver.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
THe Iiyama is nice, but dual inputs isn't really that big of a deal if he is using a quicksilver since a quicksilver has an adc input - at least mine does.

The viewing angles on the Iiyama are much smaller.

Iiyama - Vertical viewing angle 120 degrees, horizontal 140 degrees

Apple 17in studio - vertical viewing angle 170 degrees, horizontal 170 degrees

The Iiyama seems to have a slight advantage in candle power and brightness, but the apple display is plenty bright enough and i think its larger viweing angles are more important.

here are the specs on each:
http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/
http://www.iiyama.com/default.asp (you'll have to go to the product page)

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Vector said:
THe Iiyama is nice, but dual inputs isn't really that big of a deal if he is using a quicksilver since a quicksilver has an adc input - at least mine does.

The viewing angles on the Iiyama are much smaller.

Iiyama - Vertical viewing angle 120 degrees, horizontal 140 degrees

Apple 17in studio - vertical viewing angle 170 degrees, horizontal 170 degrees

The Iiyama seems to have a slight advantage in candle power and brightness, but the apple display is plenty bright enough and i think its larger viweing angles are more important.

here are the specs on each:
http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/
http://www.iiyama.com/default.asp (you'll have to go to the product page)

Er, hello? The refresh on the Apple 17" is rubbish - have you actually used this monitor for any serious work? Try ghosting windows for starters. Try playing a 3D game, you'll be sorry. Pixel response is far more important than viewing angles. I love Apple but one thing that's seriously overpriced and under-spec are their monitors. Don't be a fanboy and choose objectively.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
drlunanerd said:
Er, hello? The refresh on the Apple 17" is rubbish - have you actually used this monitor for any serious work? Try ghosting windows for starters. Try playing a 3D game, you'll be sorry. Pixel response is far more important than viewing angles. I love Apple but one thing that's seriously overpriced and under-spec are their monitors. Don't be a fanboy and choose objectively.

3D gaming is serious work? Anyway window ghosting isn't nearly as bad once your display has warmed up. That's what I observed with my 23" ADC ACD anyway.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
mattevil said:
I'm moving into a dorm sight unseen soon (transferring) so I've decided to ditch my crt in favor of something that might fit on my desk.

I'm looking for something in the 17-20 inch range and a maybe a dvi connection.
I first looked at the Samsung SyncMaster 173P but it looks like you have to have a pc to adjust brightness,contrast,etc.
I looked at apple's 17 inch display but it a tad expensive for something that looks like it's at end of life
the Formac Gallery 1740 looks pretty good but i'm having a hard time finding it for sale online.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I've been mulling over the three above but I'm welcome to any other monitors you suggest.I'd appreciate any replies because august the 20th is approaching all too fast.

On a sidenote this is going to be connected to a 2002 Quicksilver Dual 1 Ghz G4 tower with a NIVIDIA Geforce4mx card so will I be able to hook this up with DVI out of the box?This is my first lcd so forgive the ignorance.

BTW i did look at a couple of other monitor threads here but didn't feel they fit my question or were a little old.

Much as I hate to recommend Dell, I recently bought a 17" Dell-branded LCD (1704FPW), which includes DVI and a four port USB hub, and I really do recommend it. It cost $300, including tax and shipping, but with a 30% off coupon.

It has only 25ms response time though, so if you /are/ into 3D games it may not be the best one for you.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
your gfx card does not have a DVI connection, unfortunately. though i would certainly recomend getting a display with dual-input in preparation of a time you might change cards or computers.

that said, i really like my new samsung 172x. i was using it on your exact setup until last week when i sold the comp. nice refresh. pretty decent color. tiny. not TOO expensive if you shop around.

and you were right about that other samsung - you need a PC to adjust the color.

i will also second the dell as long as refresh rate is not a concern for you.

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
If this helps any...I own and use 2 apple lcd's that are the same style you are looking at for over 3 years now. Happy to report that I've never had a problem, no dead pixels, no fading, nothing...still as bright as the day I bought them. And they are left on typically 24 hours a day 5-6 days a week. They are one of the best purchases I've made to date from apple.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
drlunanerd said:

I disagree. Apple monitors are of much better quality than the numbers suggest.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Xeem said:
I disagree. Apple monitors are of much better quality than the numbers suggest.

but he is right the apple 17 in is over priced for it specs. It pretty much just a rebagde LG monitor that has some wireing change (USB hub and power cord which is easy to do)

I paid 500 for my monitor and it is the apple monior just is has the LG name plate on it. (guess who made the 17 monitor panal....LG)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Samsung 710N

I recently got a Samsung 710N -- it was on sale for $299 (I think it's usually about $349-379). My particular need is lower-than-native resolution (1024x768 is about my limit) and all the reviews I read said this Samsung has the best interpolation of any 17" LCD. I think they were right. I'm running quite happily in that res (native is 1280x1024 which just makes things way too small for me). It's also fast enough to not show ghosting when playing DVDs.

BTW, MacOS X has its own color adjustment utility which works pretty well. It won't change the settings OF the LCD, but it will nonetheless adjust to look right.

The 710N hasn't got a lot of bells or whistles (only VGA, not DVI, and no speakers or USB) but there are other 710 models which do include such things, if you can find them.

hechacker1

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
UCSD, LA Jolla, CA, USA
i have a samsung 710T.

The 710N is vga only.
The 710T has DVI and vga.

it is an awesome lcd monitor, i have yet to see one with better colors, brightness, and reponse time. I can easily game on this without any problems.

It does have one of the best interpolation, especially the DVI model because you don't even have to auto adjust, the screen is always perfectly centered (i guess any DVI does that). DVI is definately worth it over vga if you care about lower than native resolutions.

This monitor is also one of the brightest I have seen. I have to set the brightness to 70 and contrast to 60 or else it is WAY too bright. That is in full sunlight too.

If anything I recommend that you try to get a low response time monitor. This 710T has a 12ms response time. I see very little ghosting in games and none in movies. A big improvement compared to my older samsung with 25ms panel. It also allows you to read the text clearly (not blurring) while scrolling.

The samsung 172x is an older/slimmer model that is similar to the 710T/N. However, it uses a different panel that is more optimized for gaming. THe 710 is probably more on the side of accurate reproduction.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'd second the Samsung or Dell recommendations above. I have the Samsung 172T, which is pretty old right now, but a great screen for it's time, and still is. My school has tons of Dells, and have their 17" screen (the pro ones - you can tell by the Dell logo on the bottom, if it's in a yellow ball thing, then it's non-pro and crappy, but if it's just a white/silver Dell, it's good). And they're really nice LCDs, really thin bezels too!

And it's the 1704FPV btw, not W. Also do check out their 2001FP and the much-celebrated 2005FPW (if you have the money).

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Not sure if its dvi, but Dell has an awesome wide screen monitor out right now. A lot of guys on this site like it. Plus its cheaper than Apples 20. ;)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The DELL FW2005 (20-inch widescreen) is very nice and cheap too! (search around this board for info about discounts on it). And yes, it sports DVI, VGA and Video inputs

Samsung has other screens than the 173P (which is a nice screen, but no mac adjustments makes it hopeless). THe 172X and 710T is good screens.
I've got a Viewsonic 171S and its great (triple input (DVI + 2xVGA) and the best ergonomics on the market..) I also got both DVI and VGA cables in the bundle..
Its the first 8ms response screen on the market.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=5&id=1317
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/proseries/vp171s/
http://www.trustedreview.com/article.aspx?art=950

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
wow old thread...but i'll say you can get the Dell 2005FPW for 550 right now in the Small Business store which I would buy in a heartbeat at that price if I had the funds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.