Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which should I do

• Save money. Go i5,save your refund

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • i7 blow it all and get what u wanted when it was released

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
I’ve Been waiting for my tax return to do a i7 512 8gbram model but they are pushing it so far back I’ve actually gotten enough cash to buy the i5 model and also be able to keep my return in full.

I’m upgrading from a 2009 mbp with a spinning hard drive so will I miss the i7 if I just go i5 tomorrow when my pay drops so I don’t have to go another two weeks without a current computer ?

Essentially the differences are going to be the hyper threading and the quick sync from intel with the i7. Will I even notice a difference is my question

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
But those Geek Bench scores on the i7 are so nice to run and look at. lol.....

If you have to ask you must really want it. No Going Back after 14 Days.

Blow it all.... It's what you really want.

Reactions: arkitect

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
In my opinion, the i5 is a fine computer and I see no reason not to get it. I doubt you would see a noticeable difference with the i7, outside of Geek bench scores.
I’m thinking it would be fine considering I’m upgrading hardware a decade later. I still plan to get an egpu and that would be easier to swing on a whim if I go i5
[doublepost=1550776917][/doublepost]
But those Geek Bench scores on the i7 are so nice to run and look at. lol.....

If you have to ask you must really want it. No Going Back after 14 Days.

Blow it all.... It's what you really want.
I’m wondering how much of a real world difference there is, especially on how the i7 handles heat

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I’m thinking it would be fine considering I’m upgrading hardware a decade later. I still plan to get an egpu and that would be easier to swing on a whim if I go i5
[doublepost=1550776917][/doublepost]
I’m wondering how much of a real world difference there is, especially on how the i7 handles heat

Real world, I would think you have to be making your money from the Mini to justify that rout. Time is money.

For me its more Hobby, I use it for work but I am not pushing it. I would have been fine with a i5.

But look at my Geek Bench.

As far as heat I am running a Sonnet 350 and eGPU 580RX $400 for both and I believe that helps with less heat. I am currently typing on the 38" 4k Monitor and it shows 38 celsius on CPU and GPU. If I run a game it runs in the mid to upper 50's

upload_2019-2-21_14-35-41.png

upload_2019-2-21_14-36-5.png

Reactions: MacMiniUpgrader

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Those numbers are mouth watering but I’ve got 1000+ subs who are really wanting new content last month so it’s really the difference of starting work now vs mid March. I want the i7 but I can’t rush the irs to deposit lol and also havin extra spending money is important cuz I only make rougly 10k a year in my base job.

Real world, I would think you have to be making your money from the Mini to justify that rout. Time is money.

For me its more Hobby, I use it for work but I am not pushing it. I would have been fine with a i5.

As far as heat I am running a Sonnet 350 and eGPU 580RX $400 for both and I believe that helps with less heat. I am currently typing on the 38" 4k Monitor and it shows 38 celsius on CPU and GPU. If I run a game it runs in the mid to upper 50's

View attachment 822928

View attachment 822929
umb

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
You can't upgrade later, and lets be real a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds whatever is not much in the grand scheme of things. You will keep this machine for at least 3-4 years I'd imagine. Plus, it is not lost money as it will have a higher resale value. Don't regret my i7/16GB RAM/256GB SSD 2018 mini at all.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I’ve got 1000+ subs who are really wanting new content last month so it’s really the difference of starting work now vs mid March.

If you're going to do a lot of production and rendering definitely get the i7. It's only 200 bucks more and It'll save you a lot of time. Especially with Apple's own apps like Final Cut and Logic Pro you are going to notice the difference.

Reactions: MacMiniUpgrader

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Thanks everyone! It’s a hard choice because I’m trying to produce content for a hungry base that’s kinda overdue for consistent uploads so the time spent waiting is stressing me out. I’m really seeing more pros in waiting but the savings of going i5 allows me to gain egpu in the same purchase vs waiting/saving
[doublepost=1550782902][/doublepost]

View attachment 822928

View attachment 822929

I Think ive found a middle ground! i can afford the i7, 256,8gb ram and get it in the mail by the (28th-2nd)
ill get my egpu when tax DDs hit and then ill get a samsung thunderbolt drive to hold to work files. I already have a spinning external via USB that holds all my legacy photos and videos from the beginning of my creative ventures.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PUSHED FOR THE i7. just happy to technically get everything i wanted

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.58.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.58.27 PM.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 117

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Thanks everyone! It’s a hard choice because I’m trying to produce content for a hungry base that’s kinda overdue for consistent uploads so the time spent waiting is stressing me out. I’m really seeing more pros in waiting but the savings of going i5 allows me to gain egpu in the same purchase vs waiting/saving
[doublepost=1550782902][/doublepost]

I Think ive found a middle ground! i can afford the i7, 256,8gb ram and get it in the mail by the (28th-2nd)
ill get my egpu when tax DDs hit and then ill get a samsung thunderbolt drive to hold to work files. I already have a spinning external via USB that holds all my legacy photos and videos from the beginning of my creative ventures.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PUSHED FOR THE i7. just happy to technically get everything i wanted

Check refurb several i7 today...

I just picked one up for $1,779.00:

16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM memory
1TB PCIe-based SSD1

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019

View attachment 822928

View attachment 822929
Today is my arrival date and i could not be anymore excited!!!!!!! slated for delivery before 3pm!

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I can feel your excitement! :)

What do you use to digitize your gaming to then upload?

I have an older Hauppauge but I don't game; I use it to digitize video content from various sources for librarying.

But my grandson is an avid watcher of two Gamers on YouTube: I wasn't looking and he asked me my Mac password a couple of times, and at 7 years old he downloaded and got Roblox Server working on my Mac!! hahahaha

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019

I have an older Hauppauge but I don't game; I use it to digitize video content from various sources for librarying.

But my grandson is an avid watcher of two Gamers on YouTube: I wasn't looking and he asked me my Mac password a couple of times, and at 7 years old he downloaded and got Roblox Server working on my Mac!! hahahaha
ohhh i dont stream gaming haha i do cosmetics and makeup stuff. completely different hahaha but similar in the frequency of needing to upload!

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
What did you decide on? My advice would have been to spend the extra $$$ on a larger SSD if you really had money burning a hole in your pocket.
my taxes still havent dropped yet but my pay was enough for me to get the i7 256gb one. i have plans to upgrade my own ram. as far as storage im thinking one of those new ssds from Lacie thats diamond cut and space grey. i'mexcited to get my work started up !

Reactions: russell_314

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Today is my arrival date and i could not be anymore excited!!!!!!! slated for delivery before 3pm!

My 1st Apple home computer (MM i7/16GB/1TB) was scheduled for 2pm-6pm delivery, it showed up at 12:23 pm yesterday (Tuesday 26th)...I was very surprised, usually, my deliveries are more on the later than promised time!

So we both had an exciting good day...Now, I'm trying to figure out the Ins & Outs of this new thing after only ever having owned & used Window Computers...YIKES!!!WHAT HAVE I DONE????

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My 1st Apple home computer (MM i7/16GB/1TB) was scheduled for 2pm-6pm delivery, it showed up at 12:23 pm yesterday (Tuesday 26th)...I was very surprised, usually, my deliveries are more on the later than promised time!

So we both had an exciting good day...Now, I'm trying to figure out the Ins & Outs of this new thing after only ever having owned & used Window Computers...YIKES!!!WHAT HAVE I DONE????
You went all out. I hope you like it! Mine was delivered a day earlier than originally scheduled. I was surprised since it came directly from China.

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019

I love it! its like having a 55 inch macbook lol

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019

here's the content I create with my mini set up. no issues with rendering or exporting. its lightning fast compared to my MBP from 2009. I haven't even ran into any ram issues with the 8gb minimum although I plan to up to 32gb soon!

Reactions: adamk77

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Very nice. Video looks great. I think you'll appreciate the bump to 32GB. I did.

I see a RX580 listed in you sig. Did you already get the eGPU? Are you gaming with it in Bootcamp?
ive only done some light gaming on steam LOL don't judge me! haha

Reactions: russell_314
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.