Help me diagnose mysterious death of my 15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idonotliketostu, Oct 21, 2009.

1. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 2.4Ghz macbook pro with a nvidia 8600gt

So the computer was on for 3 days straight, in the final hours things became slow, the network transfer rates slowed to a crawl, programs became slow and etc. I decided to restart my computer. Saved all my apps, It shut down and never booted up again!

I hit the power button, the sleep light goes on (steady light), fan comes on at full speed, hard drive spins. There is no start up chime, the screen is not on, backlit not even on. Backlit board not on either. I know the light sensor works because when i cover them, the sleep light becomes darker.

I tried smc reset. pram reset doesn't work because i can't get computer to boot for keyboard to be recognized

I switched ram modules, no difference and tested each memory port.

How do I know if this is a cpu or gpu problem?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you've gone as far as reseating the RAM, I'm going to say it's a logic board issue.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe it's a logic board myself but you should take it in. Isn't this the model here the 8600 failed? I know that's the GPU but you never know what they'll say. Take it in.

Edit: Eidorian sorry, i didn't quite catch your response. I didn't mean to sound like I was just echoing it.

4. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple will replace the logic board for free if its the nvidia chip at fault but how would they know if its that or something else if the computer can't boot?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They can run a diagnostic I believe. Either way, they will know and can fix it or they'll do what they did with mine. Replace everything piece by piece then hand me a totally new machine. ;)

6. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

alrighty, off to the applestore to i go tomorrow !

7. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I got the same symptoms like on your MBP. Bought to the Apple Store last week and got it replaced the logic board. The Nvidia chip is the culprit. Apple replaced mine and shipped back to my home in 3 days. Impressive!

My MBP is late 2007 15" 2.6Ghz SR w/ 256MB VRAM