Help me find a cheap legit copy of System Builders OEM Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kevinoh33, Mar 27, 2010.

1. kevinoh33 macrumors member

So I'm beginning to think that the reason why the Bootcamp partition is not showing up in the Windows Setup is because the copy of Windows XP my friend gave me is not legit.

So now I'm on Ebay looking for the cheapest price for a legit System's Builder's OEM Windows XP because I heard you can install that on my Macbook Pro. But the problem is, I'm really new to Ebay and I need help selecting a legit copy.

Can you guys help me with that?

I looked at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROSOFT-WINDO...ultDomain_0?hash=item51915f0faf#ht_675wt_1167

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2552182&CatId=672
    But I don't know if it's the System Builders OEM edition and if it's legit.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me find a System Builder's OEM version of Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The one you buy from TigerDirect would be the "clean" OEM/System Builder Edition that should work.

However, note that OEM/System Builder Edition is not licensed for use by end users. So "legit" is a relative term. The license is also restricted in other ways, for example you do not explicitly get "transfer rights" with an OEM license. so you can't move the license from one machine to another, etc...

This is why Apple only "supports" Boot Camp installs from full license retail versions.

B

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

So, if you buy a System Builder's version from ebay, it may be one that has already been registered. The previous owner may have taken it out of service, but since by EULA it's not transferable to another system, when you go to activate it, it may be denied because it's already been activated. In that case, you'll have the option of calling Microsoft to make your case as to why they should allow activation, but they'll know it's a system builder's version and may well deny it.

As mentioned, a new System Builder's version will install and work just fine, but the purpose you intend for it does violate Microsoft's EULA.

4. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

Ok well I might buy the one from Tiger Direct. But dang, why does a 10 year old OS cost so much?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Because that's Microsoft's business model? ;)

XP has been retired and is no longer made, W7 is the current version of the OS and you can get better deals on it than XP or Vista. Did you explain in the other thread why you wanted XP over W7? I can't recall...

B

6. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

I decided to get XP because it's way cheaper.

But if my MacBook Pro crashes for some reason and all the memory gets erased, I can't install with the same CD again? Do I have to purchase another one?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No you can reinstall on the same machine as many times as you want.

XP Home OEM is $90 W7 Home Premium OEM is $90, where's the huge savings?

B

8. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

I always used XP and I thought it would be easier for me to use, but if the Windows 7 OEM does cost $90 then I might get that one instead.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM is currently $99 at NewEgg and you have the choice between 32 and 64 bit versions. (It has been $90 and $95 in past months). Windows XP is $89 from TigerDirect as you already know. You can easily make up the $10 difference in a combo deal with W7 at NewEgg.

For $139 you get W7 Pro that includes XP as "XP Mode" built in virtualization for anything that just won't run under W7 natively.

B

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

He did say in the thread title that he's looking for a cheap LEGIT copy. That being the case, it should be noted that the EULA for Windows 7 is different than previous versions. Windows 7 OEM install is for "system builders" who are going to build, then turn around and sell the machine, not for end users. For him to buy and use that $99 version of W7 on his personal computer would NOT be "legitimate".

11. azazello11 macrumors newbie

Ntsf?

One reason for your Windows partition not to be visible in Mac OS/it doesn't show in Bootcamp (Startup Disk) is that you have formatted it as NTFS.

If this is the problem, you have two options:

1. Reformat the partition to FAT and reinstall Windows.

2. Keep the present installation, but when you want to boot to Windows do this: put your WinXP CD in the drive and run Startup Disk. Wait until the CD appears as an option then choose it and click restart. After reboot there will be a screen saying "Press any key to boot from CD...". However, don't press anything! In a few moments the screen will go away by itself and WinXP will load.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers,
    Azazello11

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The one time I don't go on my full OEM rant, I get called on it. ;)

I did say so in my initial response, but didn't provide my usual links. Sigh.
    Not the problem the OP is referring to. See the thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=879422.

B

13. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

Should I install the 32 bit or the 64 bit version? My MacBook Pro has 4g memory and 250 hard drive space.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're right on the edge spec-wise. Anything under 4 GB of RAM I don't recommend 64 bit.

It all depends on the apps you want to run. Since you were happy sticking with XP, I'd suggest 32 bit for maximum compatibility. If you had a pressing reason to run 64, you wouldn't have been considering XP in the first place. ;)

B

15. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

16. kevinoh33 thread starter macrumors member

I have another question. Which OS works better with Bootcamp? XP or 7? I heard Windows 7 has lots of troubles with the drivers or something along those lines.