HELP me get out of Verizon contract- I'm a Shy Pushover!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Greene23, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Greene23 macrumors member

Hi All- My Verizon contract is up on the 19th, but I want to get going this weekend. Any tips on how to talk to Verizon and getting out two weeks early with No Charge? I am not so good on the phone, aka I totally take No for an answer. haha, Help this damsel in distress! (I know you tech geeks like that) :) I want OUT of Verizon!

Thanks!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Good grief, it's two weeks. You've gone at least two years, so two weeks won't kill you.

3. christyn macrumors 6502a

Honestly, pushover or not, you will have an extremely hard time getting verizon to do this.

There is not a simple way to get out for free early other than if there is change in the TOS, or if your area is suffering from bad coverage and even then you have to prove it.

Just wait, 2 weeks isn't going to kill you.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I dont see how 2 weeks will matter. you can have as many plans from different companys you want. so if you want out of verizon just go to att then just sigh up. then cancell verizon in 2 weeks. who cares if it overlaps.

no need to wait until one is up to sign up for another if you know your contract will be up anyway.

5. Greene23 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but I want to port my number. That would cancel my contract with Verizon two weeks early, right?

Oh i know- I have waited 3 years actually, have a slow weekend and wanted to try to do it earlier. Two weeks feels like it will kill me. Don't you all remember how you felt when you wanted one SO BADLY?! yeah well its been 3 years of that feeling. leave me alone.:)

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

They hold all the cards so if your demanding or complaining in your request then they can just give you the old, "sorry, it's just the policy and I can't do anything about it..."

Just be honest and see if a nice manager will help you. Tell him you are switching to a new provider and would like to port your number. He/She will ask you all the standard questions about why you want to change and what can they do to keep you as a customer. The way contracts work you are obligated, but depending on your plan and if you have already prepaid for the month then they might be nice to you and let you out so you can take your number with you. Most carriers are afraid that when people change or cancel that they will skip out on their last bill. But, if you pay off your account in full then that will alleviate that fear.

7. Andy348 macrumors 6502

What I did was just go to my new provider and they canceled my old plan right there and signed my number with them

8. Coalman macrumors newbie

Tell AT&T that you'll sign up today if they will credit your account the amount of the early termination fee Verizon charges. They're the only company with any incentive to deal with you for your business.

9. boston44 macrumors 6502

Yes,
    If they are taking a customer away from Verizon while making $30 a month for the data plan, they are likely to sign you up today and give you the termination fee.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Wait 2 weeks and stop being ridiculous. It's 2 weeks, and you've been with them for around 154 weeks.

11. hypertc13 macrumors regular

I believe you can port your number before your contract is up. They allowed me to do it when i switched from sprint to verizon. You just pay the rest of your contract. I believe mine overlapped a week or two as well