Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Hi,

So I took out my old Macbook Pro HDD out, and used one of these sata usb adaptors and the computer says the disk inserted is not readable by this computer. diskwarrior doesn't even see the drive. What options do I have?

Last edited:

sebseb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Does the original Macbook Pro see the HDD still? could be a defective adaptor?

The original MBP is dead! Graphics card died, Yeah I thought it might be that but Disk Utility does recognize the drive but all options are grayed out.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Hi,

So I took out my old Macbook Pro HDD out, and used one of these sata usb adaptors and the computer says the disk inserted is not readable by this computer. diskwarrior doesn't even see the drive. What options do I have?
It is possible that the USB port doesn't provide enough power to run the drive. I doubt it but you may want to try a powered adapter. Alternatively, boot into Linux from a USB drive and see if it recognizes the drive.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2014
It is possible that the USB port doesn't provide enough power to run the drive. I doubt it but you may want to try a powered adapter. Alternatively, boot into Linux from a USB drive and see if it recognizes the drive.

Well the drive is being powered by a power brick and an adaptor just for sata to USB. The drive is recognized by disk utility but I can't verify or anything. I used the repairdisk in terminal and it said that it needs to be a GUID partition or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.