(HELP ME) Macbook Pro VS. Toshiba Portege

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theRkid, Mar 21, 2011.

1. theRkid macrumors member

Ok, so like I've said in my other thread, I'm trying to decide between a Macbook Pro 13" (stock model) and the Toshiba Portege R700-S1312. This is for my high school next year, and these are two choices: bring a laptop of your choice or buy the school "fully-supported" laptop.

What I'll pay for both:

1. Pay a yearly fee of $300 for books

Macbook Pro Option:

1. Buy my own protection plan (AppleCare)
    2. Not have onsite support, and have a virtual desktop

Toshiba Portege Option:

1. The school will give me the laptop and let me keep it for $1200 (+$300 book fee would be $1500)
    2. onsite support if anything ever happens for the full 4 years plus accident protection + desktop at school for school stuff vs. the virtual one

So it would basically be $1750 for the Macbook Pro and $1500 for the Toshiba. So, I'm basically leaning toward the Toshiba, but the lust of the Macbook Pro is really tempting...

HELP ME PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Ok, stop right there. Delete the thread.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think this is the wrong place to be leaning toward the Toshiba.

I'd go MBP because the $250 difference isn't all that much if you're upgrading to a Mac. The OS X experience is worth that, in my opinion. Furthermore, you'll have plenty of support for the Mac at Apple stores. They're generally pretty helpful, and at least SOMEWHAT knowledgable. I can't vouch for your school's tech support, but I can't say I've ever been impressed with high school IT.

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

You don't say.......

Yes. This would be the wrong place to post this. Maybe almost like a gay couple asking the WBC where the best church for their marriage is.

I definitely agree with you here. My high school's It dept was worthless.... Most of the time I knew more about the computers then they did.

5. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

I Think in the end your gonna hate the having to use vm fusion to get into windows. I hate it so much that I keep a windows laptop just in case. If your school supports a particular laptop stay with it, cause if it comes with support and accidental coverage I think you will be better off in the long run. As a side note, I love Toshiba laptops. Great build quality.

6. theRkid thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you to everyone who responded. By the way, I don't have a thread for THIS in particular, my other thread asked if a MBP was good for a high school student and a few other questions.

On one hand, having support on the campus would be extremely helpful and things like that, but I've used some of my current school and friends' Macs and the quality, build, and functionality are amazing. I think I'm going to resort to asking when I go to a meeting about academics and the school on Thursday...

7. sydenham macrumors regular

Well the benefit of getting the Mac is you can run Windows on it if you desire. In three years the Toshiba will be worthless, but the Mac will most probably still be useable, and you will get your $250 back when you sell it. I use VMware Fusion for work all of the time so it is very convenient, although you can always use Bootcamp.