Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speariii427

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hello Everyone

My 2010 MacBook Pro just died and I am starting the process of replacing it. My budget is around $1,600 and I live in a state with no sales tax. I'm able to take advantage of the education discount, which will obviously allow me to get more "bang for my buck." I know I want to max out the RAM to 16GB, however I'm torn between upgrading the processor to the i7 or going with the 256GB SSD. With my budget, I have to pick one or the other here. Is the processor upgrade really worth $270 based on the performance I would get? With cloud and removable storage (hard drives, flash drives, etc...) is doubling the hard drive size work $200? These are the questions I got back and forth on trying to determine which component to upgrade.

Like with my old MacBook Pro, I would use it at home for basic Internet surfing, Microsoft Office, photo editing, and iTunes. I am looking to use the new MacBook Pro for work though. My employer just started a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. I am a telecommunications and network administrator so I will have a lot of webpages and applications running at once. These applications will be over two external monitors and the MacBook Pro's screen. Webpages will include configuration interfaces, network monitoring tools, and reporting. Applications will include SSH/Telnet, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio, Cisco router simulators, remote desktop, and scripting tools. I want the 13" model as I need to be mobile when traveling and when directly connecting to network equipment in tight phone/network closets.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hello Everyone

Hi there.

With my budget, I have to pick one or the other here. Is the processor upgrade really worth $270 based on the performance I would get?

In my opinion, it is not worth it.

With cloud and removable storage (hard drives, flash drives, etc...) is doubling the hard drive size work $200? These are the questions I got back and forth on trying to determine which component to upgrade.

This is strictly a matter of preference from my perception. If you prefer to have your storage internally, I'd say go for it. If you are not opposed to externals or other means of storage, you could just get the base amount. As far as the price, you don't really have an option to have it done cheaper as Apple hates everyone evidently - so just decide what you would prefer would be my suggestion.

Like with my old MacBook Pro, I would use it at home for basic Internet surfing, Microsoft Office, photo editing, and iTunes. I am looking to use the new MacBook Pro for work though. My employer just started a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. I am a telecommunications and network administrator so I will have a lot of webpages and applications running at once. These applications will be over two external monitors and the MacBook Pro's screen. Webpages will include configuration interfaces, network monitoring tools, and reporting. Applications will include SSH/Telnet, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Visio, Cisco router simulators, remote desktop, and scripting tools. I want the 13" model as I need to be mobile when traveling and when directly connecting to network equipment in tight phone/network closets.

The 2015 13'' sounds adequate for all of what you've listed here. I would just stress again to decide what you would prefer in terms of storage and advise against upgrading the CPU as its somewhat negligible considering the price difference, but hey, if you want a maxed out machine, why not? These are just my opinions and I hope this post helps you.

MetalGamer09

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
Go for the 256 SSD. The i7 is not gonna be needed doing what you are doing and it's nice to have the extra storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.