Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rozzomono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I just bought an 07 MBP 15" for $240 and i have some money put away to really make this Macbook top of the line. I really just need some help picking out some of the parts and where to buy them to go along with it. Any input would greatly appreciated. Thankyou guys

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
You can also remove the optical drive to put in a second hard drive but after that, you're done. You can't upgrade motherboard components or anything like that as you can in a desktop.

mac-collector

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
Europe
Actually you can upgrade a lot more. It just depends on how many risks you are going to take. If you want to replace any components on the motherboard you will have to replace the whole motherboard. Other than that you can get new fans, new screen, replace the shell, wifi antenna - and a lot more. But beware: replacing anything other than RAM and the disks is quite difficult and can (often) require great knowledge of the components you are working with, something not for the common user. I have no idea how experienced you are.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just bought an 07 MBP 15" for $240 and i have some money put away to really make this Macbook top of the line.

At this point you really cannot make 5 year old computer top of the line. As others stated you can add an SSD and increase the ram, but overall you are limited by the CPU/GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.