help me switch seems i got unanswered questions about the 6+.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ron20, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ron20 macrumors member

ok before i start
    1.. nearest anything that has a phone is 1hr away apple store 2hrs away. so pretty much i am up a creek without a paddle.
    2. this is an apple forum so i do realize that 90% of people are one sided..
    3. i am looking into getting a new phone.

story time... with that said i left my 4s for a galaxy, (it could do all the features my jailbroke iphone could do but better.) now i am rocking my galaxy s4 and its almost time for me upgrade (it is time but if i use my line i got to wait). my grandma is rocking my old iphone 4s. and gets better/faster service then my galaxy. and she doesnt want to upgrade even to a slightly larger phone. (really that 4s has been through heck... (but it stays in otterbox case (all my phones do)(dropped it on my aunt's tile floor and it landed on the corner of the phone (broke the case but phone looked un-harmed.)

also i have been reading reviews and it seems to be a great phone.

ok so on to the question's (i havent had much seat time with the iphone.)
    some of these's i could test when i see a phone the other's not so much.
    1. on my galaxy i can pull down on the screen and enable apps and what not. can the iphone do that my 4s rocking ios 6 only showed notifications
    2. cant remember but what all does double taping home do. (besides let you play/pause and muti task)
    3. should i wait until the 6s+ comes out.
    4. how easy is it to jailbreak it? (do i have to have my pc on hand?) (well i will have my pc because it still has itunes on it.) and i need music on it.
    5. can the iphone control a TV like the galaxy s4 can?
    6. how is apple pay. (we got some places that offer NFC payment.) can i use it anywhere or only where it says apple pay only. (ATT has that isis (soft card now) it never worked but goggle wallet did on my galaxy s3 and i loved it. before the update. (i had to add money to it each time i wanted to use it.
    7. its hard to compare this to a note 4 edge (my other choice) but how is the camera (i hardly take a face picture of me) i do take a lot of pictures prob pushing close to 4gb. i did like the note 4 but when i went to find a iphone 6/6+ they didnt have a working model. so i cant say anything.
    8. how does it fit in blue jeans front pocket. i do a lot of bending down/sitting. (so i really would hate to break my phone, or take it out each time) from what i hear the note3 my cuz had did ok. when he had it. but i never tested it.
    9. how good is the 64gb models it seems like it would be plenty of space (i don't plan on having videos minus the one's i have taken really dont have the coin to afford the 128gb model plus i hear they have issues.
    my galaxy s4 is the 16gb model, i have 6.01gb left but since i have a removable sd card. 32gb (but shows 29.72gb max space. my space left is 11.12gb. i used to have the note 3 my files app. (could tell me how much of what took up x amount of gb.

i am hoping that's all the questions i have. and thanks guys for the help and advice.

2. bchreng, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015

bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I switched from an S4 to the 6+ not too long ago and can answer your questions more thoroughly when I get back to my desk. The camera is a lot better than the S4 (superior focus), it doesn't fit in my front pocket comfortably (I'm 5'7" and wear 32" waist) and 64gb has been plenty for me so far for taking photos and video (handful of freemium games, some apps, no songs or movies)

3. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

you've had an iphone 4s before, so pretty much you know how it works and how it's UI works and you know its limitations. having said that you yourself can fairly gauge if you want the 6+ or stick to your samsung phone. from my own personal experience, i have a 6+ and i do like it a lot. the only downside to it is it's size. but i got used to it and now it doesn't even bother me.

4. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Please note that iOS 6 does not work the same as iOS 8. For example double clicking the home button does not show media controls as they've been moved to control center. Notification center has been changed as well. There are too many differences to list so I just want you to be aware of that.

5. RedCoil macrumors newbie

1. You can add widgets to the Today panel in the notification launcher. That will give you quick access to various apps and info. There might be a dedicated app launcher widget, but I haven't looked for one.
    2. Double tap home brings up recent apps and recent contacts now.
    3. There's always newer, better tech on the horizon.
    4. Jailbreaking will require a PC to do. As far as I know there is not 8.2 jailbreak available yet.
    5. Nope, no IR blaster on the iPhone.
    6. I don't know. I wasn't able to get any of my cards added (they all worked with Google Wallet though)
    7. Camera on the 6+ is excellent. Arguably the best on a smartphone.
    8. It fits in my front pocket fine, but I rarely keep it there. Can't help you on that one.
    9. 64gb should be plenty for what you're describing.

6. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

1. on my galaxy i can pull down on the screen and enable apps and what not. can the iphone do that my 4s rocking ios 6 only showed notifications
    Launcher will allow you to add apps, web links, contacts and custom launches to the Notification center.

2. cant remember but what all does double taping home do. (besides let you play/pause and muti task)
    It allows you to close apps via multi-tasking and shows your recent contacts, which you can tap on to call, message, and FaceTime video/call (if they have iOS device).

3. should i wait until the 6s+ comes out.
    If you feel like waiting. I have had the iPhone 6+ since it came out and have had no issues, it works perfect for me.

5. can the iphone control a TV like the galaxy s4 can?
    The iPhone does not have an IR blaster. Since I have Comcast, I'm able to use their "TV Remove" app to change stations through their Setop Box. Not sure if this is the same with other providers or not (if you don't have Comcast).

6. how is apple pay. (we got some places that offer NFC payment.) can i use it anywhere or only where it says apple pay only. (ATT has that isis (soft card now) it never worked but goggle wallet did on my galaxy s3 and i loved it. before the update. (i had to add money to it each time i wanted to use it.
    Not sure what "goggle wallet" is. Apple Pay let me dd my card but I haven't really went anywhere that accepts it yet. I've used it through other apps to pay for things though and it works fine.

7. its hard to compare this to a note 4 edge (my other choice) but how is the camera (i hardly take a face picture of me) i do take a lot of pictures prob pushing close to 4gb. i did like the note 4 but when i went to find a iphone 6/6+ they didnt have a working model. so i cant say anything.
    Camera for me has been fine, takes rally good pictures as far as I'm concerned.

8. how does it fit in blue jeans front pocket. i do a lot of bending down/sitting. (so i really would hate to break my phone, or take it out each time) from what i hear the note3 my cuz had did ok. when he had it. but i never tested it.
    I've had my 6+ since it came out and it fits fine for me. It's never bent at all or anything.

9. how good is the 64gb models it seems like it would be plenty of space (i don't plan on having videos minus the one's i have taken really dont have the coin to afford the 128gb model plus i hear they have issues.
    my galaxy s4 is the 16gb model, i have 6.01gb left but since i have a removable sd card. 32gb (but shows 29.72gb max space. my space left is 11.12gb. i used to have the note 3 my files app. (could tell me how much of what took up x amount of gb.
    64GB is more than enough for me. I have around 60 apps on my phone and some pictures and videos and still have 30 something gb left, and it's real easy to clean up if I need to.

7. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Not much to add. (Until I am able to get on my laptop tomorrow but I think I answered most questions). But Google wallet is the android side of apple pay. And I could use it every where. For those that haven't gone droid lol.

But it seems like this phone is worth it I hope to buy one next month if things go well.

Also how is keyboard layout right now my galaxy has the ## at the top in landscape and portrait (like a normal keyboard on a pc would) my old 4s doesnt only ios j have besides my 3g that was given to me by my cuz. Then again I got nothing to compare phones to but my galaxy..

I thought iphone 5s was first iphone to include ir blaster. I think my cuz mentioned something about that.

Thats good it fits in pants pocket. Unless I am home or in my truck my phone stays there

Whats the avg batt life. (Say moderate use) (work hr 8am though 5pm) I hit around 17hrs depending in use on my galaxy With a screen in time of 1hr 20min and I am at 29% left. (Also I have juice defender which helps) (I hardly use my phone..)
    Thank yall for all the advice so far.

8. RedCoil macrumors newbie

From the usage you're describing there, I imagine the 6+ could last you two days on a charge. It will be certainly be noticeably better than the GS4.

9. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks longest my gs4 went is little over a day with little use

Also how can I tell if iphone 6+ comes with ios8.2 the version I dont want

Or will there be a jb available say next month.

10. Ron20, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Got another question for yall. Since everything is backed up on Google contacts And calendar will everything be transferred over? My note pad I think thats Samsung account? but I can make it work. If I cant transfer via easy way.

also does the iphone still work on 2g? Only time I see that is when I am at work.
    I work in a warehouse my gs4 slightly works I can call/txt but nothing else, I can step outside and see 4g. Hopefully iphone will be faster, seen a video of 6 and 6+ side by side and 6+ way faster.

^^above question is dumb but I had to ask
    But mine are and I had 4g if the 6+ is faster then the 6 I think it would be faster then my gs4.
    Download .43mb
    Upload .03mb

Back to the notification topic here is what I am talking about
    [​IMG]

I do have a torch (flashlight) tile but its not available on a stock rom but I have a factory widget that does the job. Also have a date on a custom rom thats not on the stock

See its just the simple things that give me problems

Also another thing how does face time work (stupid question) but I never used it and since my account is on my old iphone (gma's) would I have to have a new account to face time?

I am sorry for so may questions both pointless and not so pointless but have a 2 yr contract so I get my use out of one. So I gather every bit of info I can before I buy.

On the light I can do whatever I want with the phone play games, etc

on the batt. This is where galaxy upsets me, below 15% I think camera flash kicks off. I know it does on 10% at 5% cant use flash light, camera wont work, and screen dims and I cant adjust brightness. Hope iphone doesn't do the same...