help me use external monitor with macbook please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    i have a black macbook (13inch screen), pretty small.

But i now have an external monitor that i would like to try to use with macbook, i think you can connect it, and just close the macbook lid, or mayber use both at the same time(?).

basically i dont understand the connections i have, and whats needed.

my external is pretty similar to these:
    http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-Gallery-1900-Platinum-Xtreme-3-FORMAC-LCD-monitor-138509-0

http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-Gallery-1900-Raven-Xtreme-3-FORMAC-LCD-monitor-138510-0

its currently plugged into pc working fine, but with huge white connnection.
    macbook doesnt have this connection, might need an adaptor i presume.
    The external does have a usb wire sticking out from monitor, maybe that could be used to connect to macbook? or that might be just so you can use two usb ports on monitor..eg connect that usb wire into pc, so you can use the usb ports on monitor...

thanks for any help given.

2. simsaladimbamba

Use a Mini DVI to DVI (white connector) or a Mini DVI to VGA (blue connector) adapter.
    They can be had from Apple (Online and offline), but MonoPrice offers them a lot cheaper.

The USB on the monitor is for having additional USB ports.

And yes, you can run the BlackBook closed or opened, it will be able to run two monitors at once, the built in one and the external one.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You will need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, and you can use the DVI cable that is currently connected with the PC

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You can use either of those two arrangements.

You'll need a mini-DVI to DVI adapter - make sure your monitor supports DVI, as the models in your links do.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks everyone,
    i will buy one from ebay uk. :)