Help me with an iPhone 4 repair please?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NMan95, Feb 4, 2012.

1. NMan95 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.

Okay, so here's what's up:

My iPhone's screen was scratched
    I ordered a replacement screen assembly
    Screen looks great, but I'm having trouble removing the old one.

I got one of the bottom screws out just fine using a filed down flathead screwdriver, however the other one is giving me some serious trouble. It's severely stripped (the head is, not the thread part). It's general shape still resembles the star, but I'm not sure even the proper tool would cut it at this point.

Anyway, point is, I wanna replace the screws with Phillips anyway, so what I need is a way to get this screw out. I've tried supergluing the driver to the head of the screw and that didn't produce results. I do have the proper tool on its way but I would like a faster answer. It really burns my ass having this beautiful new LCD sitting here and not being able to use it.

Any ideas besides the superglue trick? Remember, I plan on replacing the screws anyway so I guess it doesn't matter if this one gets completely destroyed, as log as the phone isn't damaged --- I just need this screw OUT!

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

-N

2. iTouchiPodz macrumors newbie

youtube it? its really hard to dissaebmle the 4 as u need to almost remove everything

why didnu just take it in the store for them to do it right?

3. NMan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you're referring to an apple store, because the fees are ridiculous. I think I even was told by a sales associate once that they won't do it since I'm no longer under warranty besides.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

1. Always use the proper tools when attempting an iPhone repair. It is harder then you think and each screw type needs a different type of screwdriver and they are easily stripped.
    2. Why are you replacing the screen over a scratch?

5. NMan95 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I've obviously learned that now. Thank you for your concern but obviously that information is no longer relevant. I need a way to fix the problem, not a way to prevent it.

2. Because there are actually about 25 scratches that make it irritating to touch, and hard to read.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you can't figure out how to get the screw out on your own you think you are gonna be able to replace the screen without messing something else up? Next time use the right tools and you won't have this problem

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The next thread will read;

I've replaced my iPhone 4 screen but now the home button has stopped working.

;)

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Don`t even attempt this sort of thing without:

A) The correct tools

B) Sufficient knowledge of the procedure/tools required

Otherwise your results are likely to cost a whole lot more than just
    getting Apple to do it.

If you can`t be bothered to order a $6 screwdriver I can`t be bothered to help you out.
    And, yes, the next reply will say "my home button stopped working" :rolleyes:

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You made a choice between the high fees or doing it yourself. I used to do this and I would call this a "self inflicted error".

10. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

I would think that a screen protector should be able to 'cover this'.
    Otherwise without the proper tools there is no point in going any further. As the saying goes.. 'having the right tools to do the right job'.

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If you can't watch a YouTube video and follow along with that then take the phone to someone who knows what there doing. It's not something you want to mess up. I personally would have paid the out of warranty replacement with apple but that's me.

12. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Before it is too late, please visit iFixit.com. They have a very well detailed guide, and even tell you what screws go where. I use iFixit all of the time so I know I am putting the right screw in the right spot.

If you are placing a iPhone 4 screen, you work your way from the back all the way to the front. You pretty much gut the entire phone, and it can be a hard time getting the six screws and washers on the side back in correctly.

If you are in deep desire to get it fixed, you can ship it my way. I will fix what needs to be fixed, and ship it back. Long as you pay for all shipping charges here and back.