Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
When ever I try to copy files into my System folder in my Mac OS X HD, it dosen't let me! It says that the folder can't be modified. This happens in all the folders inside the folder"System" plus I have to type in my password when I install applications and when I run Remote Desktop! Can you guys help!?:(

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
you have to be logged in with admin privlidges.

Check out System Preferences and edit your user to make sure that they have admin priv's

That should fix it.

C-

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: help me.....

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
When ever I try to copy files into my System folder in my Mac OS X HD, it dosen't let me! It says that the folder can't be modified. This happens in all the folders inside the folder"System" plus I have to type in my password when I install applications and when I run Remote Desktop! Can you guys help!?:(

You shouldn't have any need to go in there; X is very protective about its system!

If you absolutely HAVE to put stuff in there, either enable root or boot up under OS 9.

And you almost always have to type in your password before you can install applications. That's normal.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
My rule of thumb...

If you have to ask HOW to put stuff into your system folder, you probably don't have the NEED to put it there.

The system folder is, unlike its OS 9 counterpart, off-limits to most users. You don't need to fanagle extensions or control panels. When installing programs, the installer will ask you to provide an admin password if it needs to put stuff in the system folder.

Are you trying to hack OS X?? Changing GUI appearance or something??

Taft

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
OoOOOOooOooOooOHHhhhhHhhHH!

I'm not trying to hack it or anything, I simply readthe direction wrong on how to install a System Pane... sorry guys... I dodn't read between the lines...hee hee hee......:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.