*HELP Migrated from PB G4 to iMac, new iMac display busted, how do i recover info?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smittay717, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Smittay717 macrumors newbie

hey everybody

i just transferred 5 years worth of stuff from a Powerbook G4 on Tiger to a new Intel iMac running Leopard.

It sent all my 3rd party software and licenses and everything seamlessly, however my iMac has something wrong with the display and needs to be replaced. I can still read the display. I have this pit in my stomach.

How do i get everything transferred off that new iMac running Leopard to a safe place until i get my new iMac mailed from Apple? I have to send the busted iMac back first. Im unfamiliar with time machine and the migration process.

Do i send it from the new iMac back to the Powerbook? Does the Powerbook have everything on it? Can I transfer from the new iMac to a HD with TIme Machine and a new iMac can have it restored on it? What about the software licenses?

thanks, i really appreciate it - esp since i have to go to the mac store today

smitt

2. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Uh, why do you need to transfer anything back? You still have the stuff on the powerbook? :confused:
    The migration wizard or whatever you used doesnt remove anything from the original computer. In this case the Powerbook. I would erase the imac hdd if you are paranoid of your personal information before shipping it. Use disk utility and erase it.

4. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man

so all my stuff is still on the powerbook,
    even licenses to 3rd party software for Quark and stuff?

thanks

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Yes that migration assistant isnt "evil" or care about your licenses per machine
    :rolleyes:

6. chscag macrumors 65816

Why not invest in an external hard drive? You really need one to do any serious backing up anyway. Whether you use Time Machine or another program, an external hard drive is a must. If you have everything backed up on an external it will make your task of transferring\restoring everything on to the new iMac much easier.

Fortunately you still have your Powerbook with all your original stuff, but there may come a time when you're going to need a reliable backup. Learn how to use Time Machine.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/11/15/walkthrough-time-machine-for-os-x-105-leopard/

Regards.

7. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool - i saw it migrating and i saw copying receipts for programs and i was like, oh no, i just transferred my quark license ~$899 to this new iMac that won't work.... that's good to know

8. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll check out time machine.

i did have my powerbookG4 backed up with Backup 3 onto two different hard drives, but for some reason i thought i had lost the licenses for 3rd party applications

or i would have trouble restoring to original locations on a blank iMac that never had them there in the first place (my old powerbook)

and i also didnt know the compatibility between my backedup files in Tiger to Leopard on the iMac, im really new to Leopard ----------

thanks so much for your help! :)

9. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Important word bolded. Notice "copy", not moved:)

10. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhhhhhh, i love the word 'copied' at this point :)

11. Smittay717 thread starter macrumors newbie

lets just hope in the meantime my powerbook hasn't died.
    its the first time ive actually turned it off for an extended period of time (usually just leave it in sleep mode).

but another quick question (and thanks for all your guys help already):
    so even if my laptop dies, how would i use the migration manager on the new iMac i'm getting to migrate from Backup 3 (which backed up my laptop on tiger?) im really new to this.

is it worth making an additional backup with Time Machine from my new iMac that everything was transferred to (which has a broken LCD screen), so i can migrate from Time Machine just to the new iMac I will be getting (supposing my laptop dies or something)

im just trying to figure out the easiest way, before i have to do this :)
    thanks again, you guys are a WEALTH of knowledge :)