Help ! Mini stuck at Lion install with no output to monitor

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by LaNex, Jul 20, 2011.

1. LaNex macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whaaaaaaaaaaa ! Downloaded Lion fine, went through installer, prepared machine, machine restarted then .... The mini is 'live' but no output to monitor. Just a blue screen (which is the monitors blue screen, not a Mac blue screen.) so I waited, and waited, and waited about half an hour. Unplugged monitor, replugged. Nowt. So I risked a hard reset not knowing what else to do. And now the mini is awake, I can hear it on, but no output to screen. Of course I have tried unplugging monitor and replugging, but nothing.

Help ??

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

3. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Argh. Scary ****. Had to swap it out to a VGA connection but it's now giving screen output again and installing. Dagnammit.

4. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

I was using an hd tv as a monitor via hdmi, but now it's working with the white apple adapter for vga (same monitor tho, just via VGA. ) Install says "Time remaining : about 33 minutes." hasn't changed since it began. Gawd !

5. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Mine just did the boot up chime and the iPhone I had connected lit up. Finally got the screen after about 15-20 minutes. Sitting at the desktop right now.

Scary indeed!!!

My MBP is just about to reboot I think.

6. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

This is wracking my nerves now because I am afraid that I have "done something" by doing a hard reset. But it appears to be installing and the progress bar is moving very very slightly. Although it still maintains it's 33 minutes to go.
    I very nearly just said, "buggerit !" and got ready to buy a new MBA. I can't afford it really but I was so bummed out for a minute it seemed like a good idea.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Just stick with it. I am sure it will work itself out.

Although a new MBA would be very nice to have, too. :D

8. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, its up to much more on the progress bar and now 28 mins left, but I fear this time Apple may be surpassing even Microsoft Minutes as it's been saying that for a very long time. As installs got this one has been a nervous one so far. I need to step away from the machine !

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Even after install, my Mac Mini will go into sleep mode upon booting up. Only removing the hdmi and adding it back to my monitor does it come back. Extremely annoying. I don't see how Apple could not catch this issue earlier.

10. Feylong, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Feylong macrumors newbie

Same here on my MBP silver keys upgrade from snow leopard. Hanging on "Time remaining: About 33 minutes" for about 20 mins and it changed to 32 mins... Now its saying Install failed becUse my startup disk is damaged and can't be repaired... This is going to be a looooooong night.. Will keep u guys updated.

11. Feylong macrumors newbie

After a restart, disk utility, repair disk try installing again. Now seems to be fine. Progress bar seems to be echoing real time'ish. 20 some mins left.

12. Feylong macrumors newbie

Finally installed! Took about 2 hrs. Don't believe the progress bar. And run disk utility before install and u should be fine :)

13. LaNex thread starter macrumors 6502

Took several hours for me too in the end. It's ok now though.

14. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just to clarify... if you get the install started the hdmi output will drop out but will eventually re appear once the install completes correct?

15. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Ok so I went ahead and started my install with my mini hooked up to my tv via hdmi... it's been doing it's thing for quite a while now. It seemed to have rebooted and went to sleep at some point as well. I still have no output on my tv.. did everyone in this thread switch over to vga or did it eventually pop back up on the tv?

16. kaelendra macrumors newbie

ugh so from the looks of this the prob with my mac mini not showing display after rebooting is called lion's not even finished installing and could be having fun issues great... well was already figuring on grabbing a vga cable and adapter tomorrow to test that so guess that'll be the annoying temp fix then i'll be bad and return the cable and adapter the day after.