Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
I recently sold my 12" PowerBook to buy a G5 iMac and would like to get the ~14GB of music off my iPod (20GB 3G) onto the iMac. I know there are a number of programs out there. Does anyone recommend a particular one?

My first priority is to use the most reliable software (I have heard stories about iPods being corrupted during this process), and secondly to maintain my ratings (~4,000 files - all but ~300 are rated). I have heard of PodManager and iPodRip... any others? What about an AppleScript?

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks munkle!

I just picked up my iMac and registered PodWorks... it is copying the files now. Looks like a great app and well worth the $8 registration cost.

Michael

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
Terminal

I once saw the IT guy at work use the shell in 10.2 to move the mounted ipod files to the desktop, d@mn I was amazed! Not sure of the exact shell script though, sorry to get your hopes up. :)

micvog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2003
chanoc said:
I once saw the IT guy at work use the shell in 10.2 to move the mounted ipod files to the desktop, d@mn I was amazed! Not sure of the exact shell script though, sorry to get your hopes up. :)

Thanks chanoc. I did find an AppleScript that does this but I don't believe it transferred playlists and ratings; only the songs.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
chanoc said:

Your songs can be found on your iPod (scattered in "random" directories) through the terminal at:

/Volumes/Your_iPods_name_here/iPod_Control/Music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.