Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Alright, here´s the thing. I can´t seem to change the size of my dock, the "Size drag-line thingie" is all transparent and grey so I can´t grab it and drag it in any direction. This is really weird, and I can´t seem to find any solution to the problem. Here´s a picture of the crazyness:
picture1oj9.jpg

Any ideas how I might fix this problem. Cheers!
- Soundie

PROBLEM SOLVED, Cheers Kevin !

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Strange. Have you tried mousing over the split in the Dock and then clicking and dragging up or down to change the size? (the icon ought to change when over the right area).

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Does the problem survive a system reboot?

If so, it may be a corrupt prefs file. Try deleting (or just moving) the dock prefs in your home folder:

~/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

then open terminal and type:
killall Dock

... which will restart the dock application and make a new pref file.

Soundie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
wow, thanks for the quick replies. Actually this problem has been going on for quite a while now (about 3 months) so offcourse reeboting has no effect. I tried reeboting my dock but that didn´t help either. Exactly what is it that Im supposed to be looking for in the dock pref. folder ? Because I can´t seem to find anything, other than 3 documents.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
wow, thanks for the quick replies. Actually this problem has been going on for quite a while now (about 3 months) so offcourse reeboting has no effect. I tried reeboting my dock but that didn´t help either. Exactly what is it that Im supposed to be looking for in the dock pref. folder ? Because I can´t seem to find anything, other than 3 documents.

Within the ~/Library/Preferences folder there is a text file called: com.apple.dock.plist

Move this file to your desktop, then do as tersono said:

tersono said:
then open terminal and type:
killall Dock

... which will restart the dock application and make a new pref file.

Your dock will be back to the default dock....so you may want to take a screenshot of your current dock so you remember how you had it setup.

-Kevin

sil3nc3

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
it might be an admin lock over it. i know that we cant change it at school because of the admin settings.

Soundie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Within the ~/Library/Preferences folder there is a text file called: com.apple.dock.plist

Move this file to your desktop, then do as tersono said:

Your dock will be back to the default dock....so you may want to take a screenshot of your current dock so you remember how you had it setup.

-Kevin

And MY GOD KEVIN!! It worked. I love ya! Thank you thank yoou :D Im a happy chappy now :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.