HELP My dvd is stuck in my macbook disc drive and it won't detect?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by omghelp, Feb 5, 2011.

1. omghelp, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

omghelp macrumors newbie

ok lets cut this short :( i recently was watching a dvd then i closed the lid for around 30 min then i came back and the dvd player was lagging then i had the option to force eject it so i did, but it didnt eject, but it doesnt show on my desktop the disc. I tried restarting (holding left click) but the disc only spins until after i log into my account, then it stops spinning and doesnt detect a disc in the disc drive, so i tried sticking a card into the drive to stop it from spinning when the mac starts up ( cos thats the only time the disc spins) but after it stops spinning i take my card out and it continues spinning!
    also the eject button doesnt do anything even after i hold it for 20secs
    i tried going in the library etc commands and the eject menu but it says No Drives

please its really getting on my nerves help! :(

my applecare just expired too

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Have you tried restarting while holding down the eject button?

3. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Try the emergency eject, its a small hole near the eject button. You need a pin or paper clip for this.

This is another reason why the MB ir MBP should loose the odd.

4. omghelp thread starter macrumors newbie

uhm i tried the restart+eject but it just goes into the apple screen then login like it didnt even acknowledge the eject command

and i cannot find the emergency eject hole, im using the new macbook

also a funny thing, when i restart it takes 10 secs to go from the black screen to white screen at the start, is there something wrong with my drives?

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Hold down mouse button when you restart.

EDIT: Sorry just seen you tried that already!

Er.. I wouldnt advise sticking anything into your drive like that either. Try Disk Utility to see if it shows up in there and eject it from there.

6. omghelp, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

omghelp thread starter macrumors newbie

please read my original post

edit :lol just saw you replied ^^

7. omghelp thread starter macrumors newbie

8. tug macrumors 6502

hey, try starting up (this might sound strange but it worked for me) while it is on, pick up the mac, hold eject button and gently rock the mac with the disc slot facing toward the floor :eek: it worked for me! :cool:

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Try diskEject - just google it....

It is a force-eject for OSX that "usually" works when other things fail.

Have you looked in System Profiler to see if the dvd-drive is there. If it has completely failed then even diskEject will not work.

10. russellpollard macrumors newbie

Thanks for helping me feel like I'm not the only person blighted by a MacBook which refused to surrender a disc.

Special thanks to tug, whose advice to shake the thing was what [f*#@k**g] finally [!!!] got the disc to show itself. I was, at least mentally, one step away from chucking the thing against a brick wall. What a nightmare! That bloody disc was in there despite all the best efforts of my Mac-cult friends to retrieve it for a couple of months.

I did actually shake it quite hard, banging it on my knee and then just kept shaking the crap out of the thing with my finger pressed on the eject button . . . as it has pressed so often and fruitlessly for bleak frustrating week after bleak frustrating week, and this time IT CAME OUT!

I think my MacBook can be really nifty but why in heaven's name it doesn't have a small hole for me to stick a pin into in order to force an ejection is beyond belief. How arrogrant is that, assuming that there'll always a program fix?! I am now uber reluctant to put a disc in it ever again. I am not that confident that the solution would work again if I push my luck . . .

Still with the help of the people on MacRumour I feel I should let my MacBook live a while longer. So . . .

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This does not exist on any slot-loading Mac.

12. tug macrumors 6502

im glad you got it out friend, im also glad i could help. best regards. :)