Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ahh! Here's my situation... I bought Myst 4 a few hours ago, and in the installer, it said it would take about 7 gigs to install. I had approximately 7.2 gigs remaining on my hard drive, so I decided to delete a DVD that I had saved to a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder (inside a folder titled the name of the movie.) I checked the size of the folder before I deleted it, and it was 6.8 gigs. I dragged it to the trash, right clicked on the trash, and wiped it. At the bottom of the finder window though, my available disk space didn't change. Strange, I thought, but probably just a small twitch. A restart will fix things. So I finish installing Myst 4, and restart. Upon checking my hard drive, I now have 164MB of hard drive space left!! What's going on?! This is scary, as I know that now Mac OS X can't create a swap file (or whatever it's called in Unix.) Please help!! :eek:

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Are you backed up with your personal files- purchased music, song lists, calendars, docs, etc.?

Sorry I can't be of help- good luck.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Try using Disk First Aid, it could be a stuck segment; example:
I'm using 2MB of memory for a program
1KB to 2048KB
1*------------------*2048
The * are where it starts and ends - is data being used, here's what may be happening:
1*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*2048
The x are bad clusters or corrupt data or:
1* *2048
the space means no data, but its using segment 1 to 2048 of data so theres some allocation thats wrong - Disk Aid will help this.

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
Seattle Wa.
if you have file vault on, tell it to recover the disk space when you restart. this sort of thing has happened to me before, i guess it doesnt really delete it until you do that :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.