Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dana12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Hi, half way through my work my iMac 2009 restarts. Now has had a fashion change and is striped pink and white. Then on restart it went to orange and white. Then if I get it started it lags. Is it dead. I am having a panic attack

Attachments

• IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 126

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hi, half way through my work my iMac 2009 restarts. Now has had a fashion change and is striped pink and white. Then on restart it went to orange and white. Then if I get it started it lags. Is it dead. I am having a panic attack
Looks like the GPU in your iMac is failing. This is a pretty serious issue unfortunately, you'll have to take it in to an Apple-authorized repair shop and get it replaced (unless you're comfortable with opening the iMac up yourself). May not be worth the repair cost on an almost 8-year-old Mac.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Yes, vertical pink stripes are an almost certain symptom of GPU failure.

As others mentioned, it is a very expensive repair for such an old Mac.

It's not an easy job, but you could disassemble the machine to remove the GPU and bake it in an oven at 375° for about 10 minutes in order to reflow the solder.

That has been known to revive some failed cards. Here's a video I found of someone doing the job on a 2009 iMac.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Cheapest solution: Open it up, take out the GPU, reflow it, repaste it, put it back in. Does require a little know how.
Expensive solution: Buy a new GPU. Absolutely not worth it.
Expensivest solution: Buy a new machine. If you don't dare do the cheapest solution, this is likely the most logical option.

Your files are not gone btw, you can easily take out the harddrive and use it with another machine.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As others have mentioned, time to start shopping for a new iMac.

Or… you might consider a refurbished or closeout "2015 model"…

Dana12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Thank you all. I have decided to get a new mac. Now have to get all my crap off this one lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.