Help, my MB Pro is crashing/freezing often, how to know what's happening?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imorton, Nov 24, 2015.

1. imorton macrumors 6502

Good day Gang, maybe someone here can guide me in the right direction? My Early 2011 13" MB Pro has been crashing (or completely freezing) a few times a week.

The only remedy is to press the power button for 10 seconds and reboot. When the MB restarts I get a similar message saying "do I want to re-open my previous open programs before the crash".

It seems to happen randomly and at various times.

I wish I knew what to look for in the Console to see what is causing this, software or hardware....?

Does anyone here know how to diagnose this?

A million thanks in advance, IAN... :)

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hi Ian, sounds like a corrupted hard-drive. You can quickly verify it through SMART Utility. Should only take a second to check. The version I've linked you only works on OS X 10.9 upwards, so let me know if you have Mountain Lion or earlier and I'll link you to an earlier version.

If that comes out clean, may be worth doing a verify through Disk Utility.

If that's OK, I suspect it can only be the RAM. But let me know the news either way as there are still some things we can check.

3. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, I downloaded your Smart Utility, but it says I have to purchase a license. I instead ran a VERIFY DISK in Disk Utility, and it checks out good & OK.

I will try and run memtest OR Apple Hardware Test to see what it says.

I thought the Console could tell me if it's SOFTWARE related?

4. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and I ran it in EXTENDED MODE (which takes @ 1 hr) anti all checked out good (No Problems) and no memory issues... :)

My MB Pro has had this random freezing (requiring me to hold the power button for 10 seconds to shutdown and reboot) for probably a couple of years now. It happened in Maverick (10.9) and now on Yosemite (10.10) Since the Apple Hardware Test passed with no issues, how do I check if it is freezing due to software?

So does this mean the RANDOM FREEZING issue is a software one?

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd pull one stick of memory and run it like that for a while and see if it takes care of the problem, if not pull the other and do the same.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Run as trial please

7. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't run as a trial, it is only ENTER SERIAL, or PURCHASE NOW, or QUIT .... :(

Do you have an active version for Yosemite...?

8. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I ran the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) in standard & extended mode (@ 1.5hr to test the memory) and it came out good. I don't think it is a hardware issue. How can I check the error logs or Console to see what app is causing the system freezing / crash.

IAN

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I had this problem on a 2009 17" MBP I ran AHT and it came out all good yet the problem persisted. I replaced the RAM and it a few months after the trouble started happening and it fixed it.

10. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't exactly understand what you're saying in the 2nd half of your sentence above in BOLD? You are saying that the AHT tested good, however you changed the RAM a few months later and it fixed the freezing/crashing?

I currently have Early 2011 13" MB Pro with 8gb RAM and two 240gb SSD installed. I really don't feel like spending $50 to $100 to swap/test memory, I thought we could test the hardware or software to determine where the issue is..

I guess if I was going to swap memory, I wonder if it's worth upgrading to 16gb of ram VERSUS the current 8gb now. I wonder if I would see an improvement...?

I am however using a Hengedock docking station and running an external monitor, I wonder if there is a worn connection like USB or DisplayPort causing the issue.... hmmmm....?

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That's what I'm saying...

I don't think you should spend the money and get more just pull a dimm and go in with life if your crashing stops you know why.

12. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

After doing some money digging, I think my issue is related to a USB power problem.

Since I use my MB Pro with a Hengedock docking station and an external monitor, all my accessories have to connect to only 2 USB ports (500mw each port). The items that are connected to the MB Pro USB ports via the Hengedock Docking Station are: external WebCam (450mW), Logitech Wireless USB mouse (100mW), and Alfa Hi-Power 802.11 Usb Card (600mW).

I think I am exceeding the 500mW USB power specs and this is where my freezing is occurring. I have just ordered an external "powered" USB Hub (one that has a power adapter) to see if this will resolve my issue. I don't think it is RAM related as previously discussed, as the RAM underwent 1.5 hrs of extensive Ram testing via the Apple Hardware Testing program and checked out OK.

I don't know if there is a different amount of USB power available from the 2 USB ports on the MB Pro, but I think my computer freezing(needing a full power shutdown/reboot) is being caused by this.

If the freezing stills occurs with an externally powered USB hub, I don't know where else to look, but I guess I will likely just buy some new RAM, now the questions is, do I get 8Gb or go for 16Gb.... hmmmm ?

Thanks for any replies, IAN. :)