Help - my screen suddenly appears to be heavily shaded from half way down!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LAZ79, Sep 25, 2011.

1. LAZ79 macrumors newbie

Can anyone help please?
    I turned my desktop on today to find that the screen appears to be much darker around half way down. I don't think its anything I have pressed and am at a loss. Can't seem to find any similar issues by searching.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Screen shot?

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Turn the system off, and then check the cables that connect the monitor and computer are seated firmly (I'm assuming you have a Mini or Mac Pro since you refer to the system as a "desktop").

If that doesn't solve the problem, then swap another monitor for your old one. If the problem goes away, then it's probably the monitor. If the problem persists, then it's probably the system.

If it's the system, do you have AppleCare? If so, call them. You may/probably get a warranty repair.

If you don't have AppleCare, then you'll need to post some specs on your system. Depending on what you have you may be able to do a repair yourself.

Good Luck

4. LAZ79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is - any ideas what it could be?

Attached Files:

5. pismobrat macrumors regular

Hi

Its a backlight problem. There are two backlights that are used to run the display. One of them died

If you have warranty you are fully covered

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What version iMac? 24 or 27"? early 2009, 2010, 2011 2008 or earlier?

nvidia 8800GS GPU? Can you connect to external monitor and get a full picture?

Cheers,

7. pismobrat macrumors regular

8. LAZ79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure on age as I inherited this but would imagine it's got to be circa 2007/08. It's a 24" monitor.
    Is this something that can be fixed cheaply and easily?

----------

Is this something that can be fixed cheaply and easily?

9. Eves apple macrumors member

I had a screen do that not as bad though as I'd spotted it flickering as if it had an auto brightness feature, it was covered under warranty but the receipt for the job showed it would have cost about 480 to replace the screen :(

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If that's the case an external display should work fine. It's not real hard to change out the backlight (not that I've tried on the iMac) but if you can live with an external monitor that might do in the short term.

Cheers,

11. LAZ79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a simpleton when it comes to techy questions. Where would I look to find out the answers to your questions?

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

When my 17" LCD Apple display did that it was the inverter board that needed replacing.

After a very quick search I cant find an inverter board for your iMac for sale, someone else might have more luck tho.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If you know your serial number just input it here:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

If not, you can get your serial number by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left corner and selecting "About This Mac". Click "More info..." to get the serial number.

Assuming your Mac is out of warranty, once you have information about your system you can test the external monitor and start looking around for:

A: an AASC - Apple Authorised Service Center to perform the work or
    B: searching the internet for the parts needed to replace the backlight/inverter and replace it yourself.

Cheers,