Help! need Monitor to match color and brightness of iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Willyee3, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Willyee3 macrumors member

So i was just wondering is there specific brand/model/type of monitor that will put out around the same brightness and color as the imac 21.5 inch imac. Besides the apple display one because i dont that much to drop on a monitor. anyways, i was looking and i was curious if LED are brighter than LCD and what the main advantages were. Also ISP... are they the brightest and truest in color? Looked around but im not sure. I also noticed that the brightness on the iMac display was 330 cd/msquared .... while the others like samsung i could only find topping out at 300. The samsung monitor i have dual monitored with my iMac is actually a 300 but it just doesnt seem as bright and right...

Thank for the input and help,

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The Apple LED Cinema Display is about as close as you'll get. FYI, there is technically no such thing as an LED monitor. You've got LCD and plasma. There are some LCDs lit by what I believe is fluorescent lighting, and then you have LED-backlit ones. The LED-backlit displays are MUCH BRIGHTER and will save you power, especially compared to plasma. However, I think plasma is mostly used in TVs.

You'll pretty much have to go to a big store to check out brightness. I don't think I've ever seen anything as bright as the iMac screen. I know Samsung has an LED-backlit display at 22" or so for about $300, but I don't think it's as bright. You might want to check out cnet.com for reviews.

Happy hunting.

3. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I stupidly bought a dell and it was a headache
    color was totally different and so was the brightness
    it also looked terrible

overall :mad::mad::mad:

Apple Cinema Display is the way to go

4. Willyee3 thread starter macrumors member

5. MacHamster68, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

6. PrePressAcrobat macrumors member

Look at the 24" Cinema Display from Collins (I believe)

MSD

7. Willyee3 thread starter macrumors member

question. Im looking at the ultrasharp monitors from dell and they say they are IPS LCD... so are they not LED backlit or are they?

and does anyone know if they are any good?

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I do go for the apple cinema display I planning to get the 27" myself for my mac pro later on saving up for one.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Here's what I just found out about IPS. I'm betting most, if not all, LCDs made now are IPS. It doesn't have anything to do with backlighting.

http://www.pctechguide.com/43FlatPanels_In-Plane_Switching.htm

From what I see on the forums here, Dell seems to have good displays. I haven't bought a display in about five years, so I can't really tell you. All I know is this new iMac's display is f@%#ing awesome. I hope they take my advice at work and buy us these to upgrade our machines instead of spending twice as much to get Mac Pros.