Help! Need photos of failing GPU on 2011 MacBook Pro 17' !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertparker, Jan 13, 2016.

1. robertparker macrumors newbie

I has been long in the making, but the GPU on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 17' has failed.

Apple has issued repairs for it since last year: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

So, I took my MacBook Pro to an Apple Authorized Service Provider here in New York.

They ran the GPU test on my laptop 3 times and it passed every single time. I told them that the issue is intermitted.

They said that they may be able to do a repair on a case by case basis if I provide them with photos showing the GPU failing.

The problem is that I cannot wait since the repair program ends on February 27, 2016.

So, I am asking that someone help provide me photos showing his/her GPU failing on the 2011 MacBook Pro 17'.

I do have to present the photos as my own, so I don't want to use random photos from the internet.

Please sent the photos to me privately. Don't just post them randomly.

Of cause, the ridiculous part is that Apple refuse to fix my laptop because it didn't fail the test despite the laptop having a known fault and me complaining about it.

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

run some heavy 3d game for a while, if the gpu is bad it will break eventually

3. robertparker, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

AASP currently has it.

I kept running Heaven on it at the store and it didn't fail.

Honestly, this is pretty weird. I don't normally try to break my laptop intentionally.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

There is nothing the AASP can do if they can't replicate the issue or have some kind of photo proof and beg SPS to do something about it or get it to fail the test. I deal with this on a weekly basis at my shop and Apple usually tells us if it doesn't fail than it's a different problem, which I know is total ********, but we can't do anything about it.

5. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

here you go!!

I just lit mine on fire!

Attached Files:

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

You don't think it'll exhibit the problems again between now and Feb 27th, so you can record the evidence yourself and have it repaired in time?

7. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Set "gfxCardStatus" to Discrete Only and run graphic intensive apps.

My late 2011 17" was repaired in Sept 2014, which was before the repair program was announced, and they refunded my money later.

In the shop it passed all their tests, .......but could boot past the blank grey screen.

8. robertparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is not as bad as some of the others. It can go for months without exhibiting graphical issues.

I ran Unigine Heaven on it for a couple of hours (while at AASP) and it didn't exhibit the issue.