Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt335

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Sydney Australia
Hi, I have a G4 iMac. I use it mainly for photogtaphy and music. "Backup" doesn't work. I want to get an external hard drive, like La Cie, or Maxtor. Anyone with experience can help me here? I probably need at least 100 to 150gb. Thanks in advance.
regards
Matt.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
You can check newegg for a decent idea of pricing and a reputable online seller.

Pick up any three format case (fw4/fw8 and usb2) in the 3.5" standard size, purchase any internal hd in a size and speed you would like, and then merge the two and you will be all set.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
lacie d2. enough said. triple interface. in lots of sizes. looks good. pretty quick and as far as i know they are pretty reliable.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
russed said:
lacie d2. enough said. triple interface. in lots of sizes. looks good. pretty quick and as far as i know they are pretty reliable.

I've got one of those (250 Gb) and I've been very satisfied with it so far. A bit heavy though, so might not be my first choice if I wanted one to bring around!

A

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Keep an eye out for Holiday sales on Western Digital and other companies from the likes of Best Buy or Staples. Got a WD 80gb FW drive for under $100 in the last year from Best Buy with a sale they had.

matt335

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Sydney Australia
Thanks everyone for your answers !

Blue Velvet said:
Lacie D2. The biz...

Robust metal case, blinding FW800 speed, triple interface...

I have decided to get the firewire La Cie 160gig. Cheers everyone.
Matt.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
matt335 said:
I have decided to get the firewire La Cie 160gig. Cheers everyone.
Matt.

Congrats, which one did you decide to go with?

http://www.lacie.com/products/family.htm?id=10007

I have been impressed with the Lacie drives. So much so I am getting ready to go with one of their mobile drives. Though I wish the Data Bank drives were available now, might be tempted then....

matt335

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Sydney Australia
Chip NoVaMac said:
Congrats, which one did you decide to go with?

http://www.lacie.com/products/family.htm?id=10007

I have been impressed with the Lacie drives. So much so I am getting ready to go with one of their mobile drives. Though I wish the Data Bank drives were available now, might be tempted then....

I went with the Firewire 400 http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10383 as its my entre into this area. My digital photograph library is building rapidly and I wanted more space to back up to as well. I think it will also serve very useful for my music too. Eventually I'd like to get a G5 Tower.

Do you know whether the built-in software has a timed backup system?

cheers.
Matt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.