Help - Need to buy new phone, but want to wait for new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alfista, May 26, 2009.

1. alfista macrumors member

Hi All,

I am out of contract with sprint and was planning on waiting for the new iPhone hardware to be released over the summer. My blackberry died over the weekend and now I'm traveling without a smartphone. Is there a way to sign up for a new AT&T contract and get a used/loaner/returnable iphone and swap it out when the new models come out in ~July?

Thanks!

Jason

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

if you just want a regular phone get an ATT GoPhone.
    If you need a smart phone I was just get a refurb BB from Sprint then put the thing on eBay after you get an iPhone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, If you sign up now, you'll get the current iPhone, there's no program to lend phones out until the iPhone hits the streets.

As the other poster mentioned you can pick up a go phone, or find a really cheap phone and stay on sprint (out of contract) until the iPhone is available.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Or you could sign up and get a refurb iPhone 3G and hope that the new one comes out before your 30 day trial is up. Worst case scenario you could easily sell your 3G on Ebay for more than you paid for it and buy the new iPhone right out.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Problem is, that the iPhone is being "unveiled" at WWDC but if rumors prove true won't be available until July.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

In which case... "Worst Case Scenario" is reality.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But you're assuming that ATT will let people "upgrade" to the new iPhones at the rebated price. I think there's a lot of assumptions regarding that and personally I'd not rely on that fact. Waiting one or two months imo is a safer option.

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

By no means, if you think I'm assuming AT&T will allow 3G owners to purchase the third generation iPhone at a subsidized price even when they're not elegible then you're mistaken. I can almost guarantee that AT&T won't subsidize the new iPhone early for 3G owners, the only reason they did that with the 2G was because it wasn't subsidized to begin with. That's why I said sell the iPhone on eBay and buy the new one "right out", by which I mean full price, no discount. You should be able to get most of the cost of the new one by selling your 3G.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Check eBay. I'm assuming you can find a used BlackBerry on there for cheap. I would stick with Sprint until the new one comes out just because of how the cell phone companies ABSOLUTELY LOVE new customers and will give you two wenches just to get you on their plan.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed and I had assumed you were, but the consensus here is just that, people are assuming that ATT will let folks just upgrade to the new phone. Until I see a statement from ATT one way or the other, I'm not assuming anything.

11. jutte64 macrumors regular

i agree with this guy.. when the 3G came out you werent able to upgrade to it, unless you paid the out right price for it. i had to add another line to my account to get it at the lower price.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I agree with skubish. Get a prepaid phone. You don't want some teeny technicality to screw over your chances of getting an iPhone.

13. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Carriers may have an early upgrade program so you can upgrade your iPhone 3G to the G3 iPhone.

14. Shiner macrumors 6502

Do not take this advice!! I had a similar problem before the 3G came out. I dropped my phone in the urinal at a baseball game. Didn't if think about getting it back out. I went to at&t and told them my story and they said no problem sign a new contract and if a new phone comes out you can upgrade. What a tool I was for listening. The new 3G came out, as we knew it would, and bam at&t laughed when I tried to return it for an upgrade. Sure I could upgrade for full price. Remember, everything is subsidized and at&t needs its money back.