Help needed: already own a ps3 and wii, should i complete the set with an xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Gumbercules, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Gumbercules macrumors member

Hello all,

I am posting a new thread because I am in a bit of an odd situation, and searching has not been particularly fruitful:

I already have a ps3 and wii, but they are both in storage for the next month or two, and I am really hankering for a bit of gaming. It seems to make sense that I buy a xbox to tide me over (which would also enable me to get into kinect when it is released), but I am really struggling to justify it as I am struggling to find games that I am particularly interested in.

I tend to like most genres, but don't like zombie games, horror or fps where I have to shoot aliens or weird creatures - just not interested. But I quite like games that aren't too childish and have a good story (the last game I really got into was red dead) - I do like to get lost in a game.

So far in my research, most of the games in top 10 lists etc are like the above, so my question is:

1. Are there any must have titles that aren't zombie/creature fps?
    2. Anything exclusive to the xbox 360 that would suit me?
    3. Does the 360 have any real functionality beyond games?
    4. Any further arguments to convince me to buy one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think you should look at PC gaming instead. X360 and PS3 pretty much share the same titles but there are plenty of games that are only available for PC. I'm assuming you have a decent computer so you don't have to buy a new one

3. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, but I have been searching on these sorts of websites for a couple of days and really haven't found them particularly useful, was kinda hoping I could get some solid advice from MR :)

Thanks for the reply. That would be a good idea, but I don't actually have a PC atm. Also, after sitting at a desk all day at work it would be nice to have a bit of sofa gaming! :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have a MacBook, just install Windows and you're done ;)

5. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

That depends on what you consider "must have" really.
    Fable 2 & 3, Geometry Wars 1 & 2, Forza Motorsports 2 & 3, Halo Wars, Viva Piñata, Lost Odyssey... etc
    DVD player, Media Player, Netflix streaming, Last FM music streaming, Movie and TV downloads and rentals... etc
    Geometry Wars 2 and Crackdown (both 1 & 2) are some of my favorite games, not just of this generation, but of all time. They are both Xbox exclusives. Crackdown might not really be you're thing, but Geometry Wars is tons of fun. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I have a lot of fun with my 360.

6. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

Fair point :), my favourite games on the ps3 have been red dead, LBP, Uncharted (before the zombie things came along - then I got very bored very quick!). I suppose that I must like adventure gaming most, but I just can't connect to games about zombies, weird creatures. However, at the same time I also don't want something that looks like a cartoon.

In reality therefore, if I really think about it, it would be nice to have a red dead 2 :D . Is there anything like this on the xbox 360?

Fable 2 - too cartoonish im afriad
    Geo Wars - Looks awesome!
    Forza - I would likely pic up forza 3, but its not a console selling game for me
    Halo Wars - Looks interesting, but Id probably stick with AoE on the mac!
    Viva Pinata - not involving enough Im afraid
    Lost Odyssey - Looked quite promising until I saw it was turn based

This sounds great

Geo Wars does indeed look great. As you have answered most of my other questions, let me clarify the one on games...

I am looking for a game that:

1. Has a great story
    2. Does not involve:
    • a) Zombies
    • b) Sci-Fi Creatures
    • c) Space Aliens
    • d) Not horror
    3. Is preferably an Xbox 360 exclusive
    4. Nothing childish
    5. No turn based RPG

Can anyone offer anything from the 360 catalogue that would work for me?

7. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Interesting that you like LBP, but think Fable is too cartoonish. I never personally played Fable 2, but I watched a friend play quite a lot of it, and I never found it cartoonish. But hey, it's your choice. If you like Uncharted, you might look at Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 will eventually be coming out on PS3, but the first one is only available on 360. It is obviously sci-fi based, but the games are fantastic, and worth a look. Splinter Cell: Conviction is similar as well, as a 3rd person shooter. That game is quite fun.
    Well, it isn't an exclusive or anything, but obviously there is GTA 4. Same game essentially, just not old west themed. The main game itself was great, and the 2 expansions were excellent.
    Infinite Undiscovery, Ninety-Nine Nights 1 & 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 4, Shadow Complex. I don't play a lot of XBLA games, so I don't know what there might be in there that entices you, but other than the games I've mentioned up to now, there isn't much else that fits your list of criteria. We have very dissimilar tastes, so I'm really not much help I guess. I like sci-fi, aliens and zombies. Oh well. :)

8. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

I played Fable 2 a while back but didn't get too far. The beginning at least just didn't engage me.

I can totally see how my comments might be contradictory, but I like LBP for its artistic presentation (plus its one of the only games that my gf obsesses over)!

Ill look into mass effect and splinter cell

Great advise, problem is that the advice is too good - I have already completed gta4 on ps3! :D

Ill also check these out, but you are totally correct, our tastes are totally opposite! It would be SUCH an easy decision if i liked zombie games!

Thanks for your input in particular, SevenInchScrew, it has been super helpful despite our differences in taste ;).

I have spent more time thinking about this and have come across Assassins Creed (1 and 2) that I have never paid much attention to since hearing bad things of the ps3 versions from friends years ago.

However, they do appeal, and I think they may be titles that could keep me entertained for a couple of weeks! Only question would be, would I be at a significant disadvantage by delving straight into the second one, or should I start with the first one (I have heard that the second is a lot better!)

9. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Did you play the expansions? Both of them are great fun, and show a lot of extra side-story stuff. I had a blast with them.
    Yes, it would, because Left 4 Dead (1 & 2) are amazing games. My friends and I play L4D2 a ton. And since you don't like horror games, you probably wouldn't like Alan Wake, which is also excellent. I haven't played it, but watched a friend play almost all of the game, and it was quite awesome.
    I borrowed the first one from a friend, and hated it. Didn't play much of it at all. I played the second for a while. It was better, but didn't really improve much, in my opinion. There is a pretty big story spoiler at the start of the second one, relating to the ending of the first though, so if you really think you might want to play the first, do that before you ever start the second, otherwise it will be spoiled.

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I wouldn't bother.

I own all three systems,with the primary platform being the PS3. This has left the 360 with very slim pickings, and it is hardly ever used (well, the Wii isn't used much either...) and only then for exclusives that don't involve the words "Halo". Throw in the fact that you've ruled out some of the titles I do play on the 360, namely Fable and L4D, and you're left with very little to play that simply isn't enough to warrant expenditure on the hardware.

Save your money and get the games on the PS3 as you own the hardware already, you aren't missing much.

11. Gumbercules thread starter macrumors member

Hello all, just a little update...

So I picked up a 250GB Xbox 360 yesterday and it is great fun.

With it I purchased:

• Forza 3 - I have always been a Gran Turismo person (since to PSX days) so I was glad to see that the game really is very well done. There are some issues (no qualifiers etc) but it is really enjoyable!
    • Lego Harry Potter - I bought this to play with my girlfriend, and it is also very fun
    • Assassins Creed - Haven't played it yet, but will probably give it a go later today. I decided that it would be better to purchase the 360 version as the ps3 version has far fewer fps and more tearing.
    • Fable 2 - Again haven't had a chance to give it a real go, but it looked interesting enough to warrant a purchase!

My other thoughts are firstly that xbox live knocks the socks off of PSN, and that the 360 pad is really lovely to use. Finally, its nice to do a bit of gaming again while my ps3 is in storage!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread with advice, it was all very useful! :)

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I know you've already made your decision, but I still wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

It's all down to how much disposable income you have and the free time you have to go along with it. For me, I have a Wii and a 360, with the Wii being the most played. I'd like to own a PS3 at some point in the future, but the problem is that I barely have enough free time to play all the games I have as it is, and the PS3 would automatically throw like 15-25 titles onto that pile, so I'm avoiding it for now.

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew