Help needed for unlocking iphone 4

krishnaswamyms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Hi, i bought iphone 4 from gumtree, and while selling the phone, seller said its factory unlocked one. But when i inserted my sim, then only i realise that it's a locked one.Then i called up the seller and enquired about it, at last he said its locked to o2 but can be unlocked. I dont want to unlock by jailbroken or any illegal way. I just wanted to know is that any way to unlock genuinely, if not shall i return back to seller, but not in the purchase price:( please advice.

Am ready to pay fee for unlocking the phone officially. (perhaps through apple)

Thanks for your help.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
He clearly was deceptive in his sale. Do a Paypal return for the iphone sale not as advertised and Paypal should refund you no problem.
Next, send him back a brick. Problem solved. Karma achieved.

jimmy575

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Call 02 and find out how much it would cost you to have it unlocked.

If it would cost more than you would lose returning it, then return it.

02 will unlock your phone. For a price. Call them.

zerolight

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Guys, there are very very few people who take returns on second hand sales. Unless it was a shop. But he said he got it from gumtree - that's a service similar to Craig's List. He's stuck with it. If he was the original owner on an O2 contract, then O2 would unlock it for free. I've done it before. Problem is the seller was too thick to do so and now this guy is stuck with it. He'll need to pop a pay as you go O2 sim into the phone, then pay £15 to O2 to unlock, 10 days later it'll be unlocked. Then he can use his own sim.