Help needed: How do I backup all of my photos to external HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chunter1001, Jan 10, 2017.

1. chunter1001 macrumors member

i just bought a 4Tb external hdd and reformatted it to exFat.

My goal is to create another backup (besides time machine) of my important docs, music, and photos.

I'm not sure how to copy over all of my photos in a folder format that would also be readable on a Windows PC.

I might be overlooking the obvious, but would appreciate any tips on how to get this done.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Where are your photos now on your Mac? Typically they would be stored in the Photos app. If that is the case, just open Photos then select the photos you want to export then go to the File menu and click Export then follow the prompts. This will export the individual photo files that can be read by any computer.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My opinion only, but...

... if the "important docs" are valuable to you, DO NOT store them on a "cross-formatted" (i.e., exFat) drive.

Keep them on a "Mac-formatted" (i.e., HFS+) drive.

If you need to share some files with a PC, use a SECOND drive that's cross-formatted, either a hard drive, USB flash drive, etc.

But again -- keep important "Mac stuff" on a Mac-formatted drive.

I've read of numerous instances where Mac users took a cross-formatted drive, connected it to a PC, then "did something" on the PC (regarding the drive), and then -- took it back to the Mac and --- POOF! The files were gone...

4. chunter1001 thread starter macrumors member

Worked perfectly! Thank you!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the heads up! Makes sense.